Sourcing crash problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing crash problem

When running 3d accelerated games, the system will reboot(instantaneous and momentary video signal loss, then boot sequence). Occasionally, the system reports a Windows exception error or bluescreens, and sometimes just dumps back to desktop with no error, but more often the system reboots.

The problem occurs only when running D3D and Open GL accelerated games, (HL/TFC, Rayman2, NFS High Stakes, Q3A retail, D2 Freespace, and others). There are no problems/crashes during normal 2d operation. The problem appears to be random though only during 3d accelerated operation. Game for and hour (or only a few minutes), a crash, then everything will be okay for the rest of the day. Sometimes, no crashes at all even after many hours of 3d use.

Any ideas/comments as to what component(s) are most likely at fault would be appreciated. If this message is more appropriate in the gaming forum please accept my apologies.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

------------------
    System Spec
    ===========
    Athlon 750mHz
    FIC SD-11
    Sparkle 300W ps
    G400MAX-not using DH
    128MB RAM
    WD 27GB Expert HD
    Pioneer 10X Slot DVD
    SB Live Platinum
    Mitsubishi 900u
    Intellimouse Exp USB
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Win 98SE
    All drivers/BIOS current
    System Spec
    ===========
    Athlon 750mHz
    FIC SD-11
    Sparkle 300W ps
    G400MAX-not using DH
    128MB RAM
    WD 27GB Expert HD
    Pioneer 10X Slot DVD
    SB Live Platinum
    Mitsubishi 900u
    Intellimouse Exp USB
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Win 98SE
    All drivers/BIOS current

That motherboard is known to be VERY picky about its power supply. And a 750 sucks up a good bit of power.

I can't say for sure, but I've seen the spontaneous reboot most often caused by inadequate power to the CPU. I believe that the 300W Sparkle is on the "AMD recommended" list though.

The latest patches came out from VIA today. Do you also have the latest AMD AGP patch? Have you tried unplugging the DVD, just to try to avoid draining the power supply?

I wish I had a concrete answer for you. Good luck.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I will load the new VIA patches tonight. I believe I have the most recent AMD AGP patch, but it is possible that is not the case. I will double check that. I can't unplug the DVD(only cd player in system) to reduce power draw as the single player games run a cd check, but I think that GameSpy allows me to run a hl/tfc net game without the CD-ROM installed, so I will give that a shot to see if it makes any difference.

Due to the intermittent nature of the problem, it is a difficult troubleshoot, but I thank you for the ideas.

Michael
      System Spec
      ===========
      Athlon 750mHz
      FIC SD-11
      Sparkle 300W ps
      G400MAX-not using DH
      128MB RAM
      WD 27GB Expert HD
      Pioneer 10X Slot DVD
      SB Live Platinum
      Mitsubishi 900u
      Intellimouse Exp USB
      PS/2 Keyboard
      Win 98SE
      All drivers/BIOS current

Comment

I've got the same problem with Tombraider 4 on a Abit bp6 dual celeron system 2x 366@550, I believe that it has to to with my overclocking, since I am still tweaking with the voltage. When running w98 sec ed. the main cpu refused to run stable at 550 with less than 2.3 volts, but now after a few weeks it does almost anything stable at 2.0v Only one thing occurs regularly: when I'm playing Tomb raider4 and I go to another level or reload a savegame it sometimes just ends the program, Since I have an Inwin bigtower with 300w powersupply and a minimum of devices it cannot be lack of power (I disabled extra cooling fans) So I think my processor isn't that stable, the problems began after I switched the processors from their sockets (one did 550 2.0v with no problem from the start).

Ramon=running abit bp6 2xceleron 366@550 2.0v 128mb 18gb Maxtor G40016mb aopen 40x cd and pioneer dvd player.

Comment

Michael,
          I was just reading other bosts, and the FIC board is known for spontaneous reboots. They fixed it in a later version. It could be done by you, it just involves soldering a capacitor on. Or, contact the retailer where you bought the board, or FIC themselves.
          I'm afraid this is really, really a hardware problem.

Good luck,
          Wombat
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
          X