Dolby Digital Output from a soundcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

www.hoontech.com

They also sell daughter cards for SB Live! cards.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hmm... does that mean that it is entirely possible to get AC-3 output going through an X-Gamer? In all honesty I really do not want the platinum since I do not have an extra drive bay in my machine. After checking the sound card compatibility of newer cards, only the SB Live! is supported by Linux.

Should I go with the X-Gamer? I imagine it will have the same results as the Live 1024... or am I kidding myself?
      The poster formerly known as "ahardjan"

Comment

Another silly question is the SB Live! 1024 the same as the SB Live! Value Digital? I have looked on a number of online stores and that is the only one that seems to be even close to being the SB Live! 1024. I just want to be mostly sure this will work when I make the purchase.

Comment

When I bought my sblive I didn,t know for sure it was gonna work. There are so many different stories on the Internet.
          My opinion is that it should work with any sblive with a 3,5mm digital out jack.
          However, here are the specs of my sblive (this one does ac3): sb live player 1024,
          the modelnum on the card is CT4760, I bought it in the Netherlands, I think its european model. Hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks Deef. That helps a whole lot. From what I have read on the CL site the SBLive 1024 is the European version of the X-Gamer and MP3. So it looks like I will be getting an X-Gamer or MP3 to do my digital sound. ^_^. I can't wait since I have a few EAX games that I play.

Grr... though I now have to recompile a kernel and reconfigure my sound drivers in Linux.

Comment

I thought you need coaxial cable to get a proper digital link...
              the 3,5mm to L/R RCA cable isn't coaxial. How do you solve this?
              Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
              Enter The Sphere:
              go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

For the 3,5mm jack to the stereo I used one side (the left) of a normal 3,5mm to cinch audio cable. I thought I'd try this and then build my own proper caple with TV-coax-cable. But it worked perfectly from the beginning. I don't think its that critical.

Comment

Ahardjan I'm glad i helped you, but in your last post i read something about eax games just for clarity the sblive does not do any ac3 decoding/encoding. It's just a pass-thru option that i use with my soft dvd player.
                  I also play games on tv screen and over hifi.
                  What i do is: use 4 of the 6 analog inputs on my sony receiver, or I use the digital connection and select live surround works perfectly.

Comment

hey Deef, how long is that cable of yours?
                    do you have your pc close to your AC3 decoder?
                    Enter The Sphere:
                    go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

It's way too long!!! 10 Mtr. or something.
                      Totally ridiculous as I need only 3 Mtr. but I just wanted to test it and it worked perfectly right away.
                      Since it is a digital signal: when it sounds okay it should be okay.
                      I'm going to shorten it because i don't like allt his useless cable hanging around. But its nice to know you can cover quite a distance with unsuitable cable. This won't cause a problem when I'm gonna move to a bigger house.

Comment

Thanks fer the help Deef. Well mostly what I was talking about was the fact that I have a bunch of EAX only games that I would love to hear in use. And yes I am most likely going to get a X-Gamer since it does seem that you are able to passthrough an AC3 stream out to my DTT 2500 speakers.

Comment

ok... it works...
                          i used regular interconnect cable and im getting AC3 with my Live1024/Yamaha RX-v595a
                          Matrix DVD

now to test DTS: - in goes Saving Private Ryan-DTS DVD
                          hmmm DTS doesn't seem to work!

help!

ok update: it works now...
                          just have to use WinDVD (from v1.2.99 it supports DTS) as DVD player.
                          BOTH powerdvd AND cinemaster DONT have DTS Pass-through though!!!
                          Im uninstalling those two crappy programs right now!

[This message has been edited by WereWolf (edited 08 January 2000).]
                          Enter The Sphere:
                          go.to\matroxsphere

Comment

Working...
                          X