Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what would you do with a speedy new Ultra ATA66 Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

For you, Jord, and others who will soon be fiddling with extra IDE channels...it looks to me like all devices on the Promise are one and the same to the rest of the system.

I had to move my Big UDMA33 12gig (not the new one) off the promise to get video capture from stuttering and locking up. My Main (New) drive on the Promise, and the secondary drive also on the Promisel, even when on the other channel, ran into each other.

I've had much smoother performance moving my storage and capture drive over to my onboard IDE 2...Now capture and playback off the storage drive are smooth, and the program I'm using on my boot drive seem to get along much better.

Current cabling:
    Promise Chan 1=New 7200 rpm boot drive
    Promise Chan 2=CDRW
    Onboard IDE 1=DVD ROM
    Onboard IDE 2=UDMA 33 12 gig storage & capture drive.

All still configed as master no slave.

Much smoother capture and playback, and booting fine from the Promise card by enabling "boot from SCSI" in the bios.

I can imagine the confusion in Windows if I had another SCSI, but I don't so this is working just fine for me.
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Tim, isn't this because the Promise card uses only one IRQ, for both of the IDE ports simultaniously??

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord:

Your note about the IRQ thing--very likely. I wouldn't know, but would like to. Any takers on that question?

Bottom line is that if you are trying to avoid IDE channel access conflicts, as in sustained video capture, CD burning, etc. Don't put your read and write devices both on the Promise--Use one of your onboard IDE's. There was a noticeable stuttering/frame dropping (even one complete hang) when I attempted to play back a video file stored on a HDD on one channel of the Promise, and the program interface was on the Hdd attached to the Other.

Moved the storage drive to onboard IDE and kept my program (boot) drive on the Promise, and playback was smoooooth.
        Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
        Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Tim, your hard drive situation inspired me to install a bigger, faster drive. Not quite as big as yours, but as you noted, SCSI drives are expensive.

God, I love starting from scratch on my primary system. Nothing but stress and profanity. I really think I have a mental block about fdisk.

Upgraded my power supply as well. Everything should be so easy to upgrade.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hey Paul:

Every time I do it, it amazes me how really easy it is. Fact is, I was 45 minutes from start of reconfig to reboot with a speedy new drive. I've posted above a few niggles and recablings, but I'm runnin' fast and free with a new primary with lotsa room. --And this one was basically for free.

I think the Gods are gonna make me pay though. The universe gets out of balance if things are too easy.

Comment

Oh, bulls**t, Bix... there's plenty enough people who would turn up their toes and die if things <u>weren't</u> hard for them... I think they'll easily balance you getting a thing or three (million) in a gentle and love-filled manner...!

Get a grip, take the gift and smile, dammit!

Trust me, I study these things for a living. Not a livelihood, mind you... a living. Mine.

-----------------------
              Holly

Comment

OK Holly--Just what do you do (for a living, I mean)? If you can assist me in maintaining balance in the universe, your careful attention will be much appreciated!

Comment

He had to ask, didn't you Tim?

Jord.

------------------
                  Matrox Users Rely on Cheese !!

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                  X