Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does having a DVD drive and Hard drive on the same IDE channel effect performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also be aware that despite the fact that standards dictate otherwise, many IDE drives NEED you to put the master on the end of the chain still.

And MANY UDMA devices hate to be on the same channel as non-UDMA. Rearrange accordingly. U66 has the same problem with U33, even if you're not running it as U66.

Lastly, you may very well need the U66->U33 downgrader from your HDD manufacturer. Some people (such as myself) don't, but many do.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

ok
      I switched the dvd drive back to master and unplugged the 33 IDE cable and power from the 20 gig 66 drive
      (i have one 80 pin 66 cable and one regular 33 but because of positioning in my system, for now i use the 66 for channel 1 and 33 for channel 2)

i booted up and played the dvd, fine, a slight judder but infinatly better then before. I then played the same chapter again and it got worse, then i played it again and it was exactly the same as it was with the 66 drive attached, what gives?

is there anything i can set in DVD genie for to smooth playback performance????
      does this sound like a faulty ide cable?
      ive had this for 2 years i think. time for a new one?
      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

You've probably done this, but just in case you might have forgotten on your last reload of Windows, have you set your CD-ROM Supplemental Cache Size to SMALL in System Properties/Performance/File System/CD-ROM? We used to do this for CD-ROM's to make videos run smoother and I would guess it would help older DVD's as well.

RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

small?
          but but but windows says to have it set to large?
          windows wouldnt lie to me would it?
          hee hee :O)
          its not somethiong i'd done before but ill try that thanks
          ill try that now thanks.
          If it had always been this way i wouldnt mind. but agggghhhh its annoying :O)
          my pal with a DxR3 card keeps taking the piss :O(
          also, do you know if upgrading the firmware on the drive would help? i only have the early 97 one that cam with the drive? and would anyone know where to get it?
          Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

tried it and it didnt work, worse then before!

also i tried copying something to my hard drive earlier and it made funny sounds before coming up with a blue screen, then an unable to access message.

could this be a prob with running it alongside my 33 dvd drive?
            do you think i should get another IDE lead?
            how do you think i should have it configured?

thats a lota questions lol
            i hope you nice people can help!
            CMB

Comment

Sorry it didn't help. That's what trial and error gets you sometimes. But at least no harm done.

Try keeping DMA devices on one cable and non-DMA one on the other.

RAB
              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
              X