Help, I lost my cd key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

go to altavista.box.sk
    there you can find a valid key for your windows...if you bought the win98 it's not ilegal

[This message has been edited by [SITH}PELADO (edited 09 January 2000).]

Comment

Hey Maud'Dib, once you get everything up and going again, I suggest buying Norton Ghost.
      With this program you can make an image of your drive (save it in a directory on anoth partition or burn it if you have the means). You can then create a boot disk with the ghost "exe" file on it and restore your system in about 5 minutes. You will not need your key and you save a LOT of time. The image can usually be compressed to 200mb or so depending on what programs you install before hand. Mine is about 550 mb BUT is contains everything I use on a normal basis except games.

Cowboy

oh yeah specs...
      celeron 500, abit be6, G400 max, 128mb ram, diamond mx300, 40x cdrom, 6x dvd, 8x4x32 cdrw, and 10 gig hd

Comment

FYI....

The windows 98&98SE product key is not the same as the product registration number that shows up in the registry or on the System Properties General Tab area....

They encode the key with a series of 5 groups of letters and numbers that miraculously (Hey I don't know how the code works so it must be magic right?? ) decodes into a regular non oem registration number...

Calling Microsoft ain't a bad idea, they may be able to re-gen the key using your product ID you get from your registry...

If you need to, you can dump your registry using the regedit /e from a command line, then search for it using edit....

I've done it before, but not with 98 or SE...

Best of Luck,

Guyver
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950
        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Hi Guyver,

I think that if you look at the registry string I posted, you will see that the key is the same number. Believe me, I lost my key too, and that is how I had to get mine, and now it resides on my disc with magic marker

Rags

Comment

Maud'Dib,
            Does this mean you are finally reformatting and starting over?
            RAB
            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Guyver, I'm sorry to be blunt, but you are wrong, and MattRags is right.

I am looking at regedit as I type, and there are 2 relevant keys in the folder Matt pointed Muad'Dib to: ProductID and ProductKey.

The data in the ProductID key is the same as that on the General Tab of the Device Manager (I looked). The ProductKey data is 5 groups of letters and numbers separated by hyphens, which ...(getting the handbook)...is absolutely the product key of this machine.

Try it yourself!

Muad'Dib, of course, followed Matt's advice 2 hours ago and is playing Q3 online already...

--------------------
              Holly

Comment

Thanks everyone, I got it working now. Uhhh, how do I unistall it now? I want to reinstall windows, but I had already installed S.E. so now I need to uninstall it so windows will let it do it's setup stuff.... If that makes sense to anyone, please tell me how. Thanks again....
                "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

UHm.. since we're on this topic..

I lost my Office 2000 CDmanual, or at least i can't find it. Where in my registry is the product key for O2000? I looked in microsoft/office but all i could find was my "product ID" any help is appreciated.

And I am serious about this.. i'm not out to look for a key.. i just want mine back.

Uni

Comment

This is a pretty funny thread you know ?...

Comment

Maud'Dib, I think you just need to delete win.com from the C:\windows dir. Then run setup, that should reinstall it for you. Other option is to boot with a system disk, making sure it's got the drivers to run your CD-ROM. Then format the HD, and run setup from the CD.

best of luck

Rick
                      Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

Guys ,

Don't tell me you don't know sites that give free cd keys,passwords etc..the net if full of Them(warez..etc)...
                        Muad'Dib you can always go to The Crackif you like ...
                        Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Working...
                        X