X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Stepping on OCers?

Here's a blurb I got from OCP:
    http://ocp.agn3d.com/

"Kyle over at the Hard OCP sends word that he got a notice from several computer peripheral vendors stating that they got legal warnings from AMD lawyers saying they could not sell overclocked Athlon processor kits, as that action infringes on AMD copyrights and Patents.

Its incredible how companies can shoot themselves in the foot so easily for not thinking about their actions.. Athlon processors have been extremely popular with consumers because:

A They cost less than equal speed Intel processors
    B They perform better than equally-matched Intel processors on most situations
    C They are excellent overclockers
    D Their technology is pretty much superior to Intel's current designs

They owe their recent financial success to the huge popularity the Athlons have gained with users. Putting a stop to the overclocking potential of the processor now would ultimately hurt them where it hurts the most; finances..."

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 21 January 2000).]

Brian,

It's because of the argument C you brought out.
    Just think of how much money they will loose if people keep overclocking those 500 models to some 700-800? That simply means that 'no-one' will buy their 700-800 models unless they want 1000Mhz (oc'd).

So that boils down to AMD loosing money from one 'upgrading step' while users are able to oc their current CPU to a level when most of them would have bought a new CPU.

Sounds very reasonable to me. It's a huge pile of money we are talking about here..

_
    B

Comment

But Kryotech can sell overclocked systems because they are in bed with AMD.

I think that the whole thing is silly. The percent of people that buy overclock sets off the net is so small compared to the OEM market I am surprised they even bothered. AMD really needs to keep the hard core community happy since most of us are the people that the average consumer comes to for PC buying advice.

Piss us off and our business goes elsewhere.

Jammrock

------------------
      PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'll bet their lawyers talked someone into this. AMD certainly won't loose a significant amount of income from ocers. Considering the huge numbers Compaq probably sells in their non-overclockable computers.
        That brings up another interesting question. Is Greebe's device able to oc a Compaq Athlon system? or a Gateway?

Maybe this is the rub.

Comment

Although I confess that I haven't read that article, I do know that AMD is going after people who are overclocking the processors and not telling anyone. I'm in favor of that, it's fighting fraud.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I was under the impression they were talking about above-board overclocking kits like Greebe's. Maybe you're right. Maybe they're really only going after undisclosed overclockers.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 21 January 2000).]

Comment

If they are against people over-clocking by de-soldering and re-soldering resistors on the board you understand there concern. If I was them I wouldn't be to keen on people attacking my processors with soldering irons! I can't see a problem with people using GFD's to over-clock there Athlon's because they are less likely to bugger them up. Intel's attempts to deter over-clocking haven't really had much affect and I reckon if AMD are planning on doing something to stop over-clocking then someone somewhere will find a way to get around it.
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
              X