No announcement yet.

Coppermine is GREAT!!! Beware Athlon!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coppermine is GREAT!!! Beware Athlon!!!

I've just installed my new Coppermine 500 instead of my "old" P3 500 ond overclocked it at 620 Mhz......Great!With my Abit BE6 the system is a rock of stability and speed is increased of 10% (my old P3 was clocked to 620 too...)
    I've scored 3111 with my G400 DH(150,187.5) in 3DMark2000 (default benchmark).
    Beware Athlon!!!!!!!!!!!
    Abit BE6 II
    PIII600@750
    256 MB pc133@125 MHz
    Matrox G400 32Mb (150,187.5,150)
    SB Live 1024 Player
    3DMark2000--->3411

Hey Greebe, have you tried to oc a Cumine yet? Just curious. I'm going athlon myself. Hey, you think you could get my dad's P1 133 up to around 500?

Dammit, I swear he posted right before me.... What happened to his post!?! It was there, honest...

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 03 February 2000).]
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Would you belive me if I say I´m running an Athlon with a generic 235-250(whatever) ps and two generic 64 mb 10ns dimms? Completly stable? Oh, and besides that K7 I have a G400 oc to max speeds (with a fan), a sb live!, 2 hdd and 3 system fans.

Oh, and a cumine 500->620 isn´t a big deal, ask Greebe what he has done with a Athlon 500

Don´t take me wrong, the cumines are excellent cpu´s and they managed to catch up athlon performance with them, but they still are too expansive when compared with an Athlon (wich is still slightly faster at equal clock speed)

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 02 February 2000).]

Comment

Chris "get" Real, I can see your at it again...

1st post was the infamous "Beat me if you can!!!!" thread... 6307 3Dmark 99

2nd post... "Yes.....and my syster with an Athlon clocked to 10 Ghz scored 567988 in 3dMark2000....."

3rd post with "Can you suggest me some setting?" "I need some help..."

Then on Jan 5 you followed with a score of 2850 in 3Dfarq2K and ended it with "P.S. Please Greebe don't write your benchmark....or I think I'll cry if I see it..... !!!!!".

Now your back to trolling again.
        Did you upgrade just to show us how big your woody is?! Geesh.... 2850-3111 and OC 500@620!!! I'm impressed (NOT). Do you play benchmarks all day long or what?

Greebe going for the Full Nelson... again!

------------------
        Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
        Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
        CPUmark99 75
        FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Grum, Ok I have to install two patches because Win98 is ignorant of this chipset... no big deal. I have two sticks of 64meg generic PC100 sdram and a 300W PWS, OK that was my choice... but then again so was OCing this puppy to 850!

Instabilities... I have none. Only those whom have purchased SlotA MB's other than the MSI MS-6167 IR1 have had problems.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, like anyone trying to build a kick-ass system isn't going to buy SPECIAL memory and a stable powerful read SPECIAL power-supply.
            If there is a mobo noise problem why is the MS-6167 so SPECIALLY stable with a G400. I think sometimes that ... not saying it.

OK, I over react, but seeing as Matrox's next chip will probably not be out for a couple months at best....

Athlon systems are about as fast as coppermines and cost less overall even with the SPECIAL components esp at higher clock speeds, and if you use the better boards are rock solid with what is available now

Greebe, thank you very much, Maggi approacheth if not passeth 1kWU
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Personally, I think the Athlon is a pretty spiffy thing, I just wish the MB's where a little bigger. They still reek of "CHEAP AMD" to me. I know a lot of people claim they are cool, but I'll say it about any MB. 5 PCI and 4 DIMM slots are a min. req for any serious machine IMHO. Soon as I see an Athlon board like that, I will most likely jump ship, but with the current crop I couldnt even use all the stuff I got running now. Sad (for me). In the meantime I'll stick to them intel CPU's.

P.S.

Yes, I know this is a meaningless post. I'm bored ok?
              A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

(to capture the "Bob walks into the computer store looking for a new PC" market)

Comment

But AMD has quite a way to go to capture the "Bob walks into the computer store looking for a new PC" market, since the price difference of the Athlon is counteracted by the increased cost of other components.
                  I hate to break the news, but the Bob walks into the shop market is very small. Most computers, and therefore most of the money, are sold through chain stores and online dealers. The masses are scared of opening their computers and of building one for themselves. If this was not true there would be no such thing as pre-fabbed computers. The only people that deal with the small computers shops are two fold:

1) People who want a computer, but do not want to pay the name-brand price for one. These people are like the normal shoppers, but a bit more daring and so don't buy a name brand.

2) People like us who would rather be tortured and shot before using a pre-fabbed computer at home. People like us should know, or find out before they buy, that you need a good power supply, RAM and software patches to get your computer running stabily on an Athlon system.

All the other people buy their computers pre-built so they don't care, or need to know, that special components were put in to make it work. They see the CPU speed, they see it can connect to the net and play games, and they are happy.

And don't give me any, just put in Intel and it works crap about, either. Shall we begin...

There are 4 different types of Pentium III CPU's. The original Katmai that runs the slower PIII's, then the first Cumines that were used for high end 100 MHz PIII's, then came the flip chip Cumines @ 133 MHz, that are incompatible with some motherboards (unless you flash the BIOS) and most slocket cards, and there there is PIII EB Cumine, which is 133 MHz and slot 1.

If you have a 100 MHz slot 1 PIII and a BX board I agree, plug and play, otherwise, no. To run the 133 MHz PIII's (aka Coppermine) you need to do one of a few things.

1) Use your old BX board, get a compatible Slocket (unless you can get your hands on a Slot 1 CuMine), flash the BIOS, overclock the board to 133 MHz (unless you want to run the CuMine under spec), assuming it will make it. At this point you will need PC133 RAM to handle the increased bus speed, unless you have SPECIAL PC100 RAM that can handle it. Make an ofering to the computer gods and hope that your system doesn't crash running beyond spec for a year or two.

2) Get a flip chip and plug it into a 810e board. You loose AGP and any hope of playing 3D games, but it works.

3) Get an 820 chipset board. Here you can choose a RDRAM version and shell out 4x the cost of SDRAM for this SPECIAL RAM, assuming you can find any in the first place, or get a SDRAM version of the board, in which case you need to go out and buy PC133 RAM, uless you have SPECIAL PC100 RAM that will work. Now that you have it up and running you need to download a few patches from Intel, because Win98 doesn't have support for the 820 chipset, install those and it 'should' be happy. Of course there are some know issues with the 820 chipset that make it unstable, nut it's Intel, so no big deal. Sound familiar yet?

Face it, when it comes to hardware, your screwed no matter what you do if you buy any new technology.

Jammrock...still waiting for the Athlon to arrive!
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammrock,
                    There are no (official) 133MHz Flip-Chips yet. Current releases are 500e(5x100) and 550e(5.5x100). All current releases running 133Mhz are SECC2(some KATMAI [look for 512K L2], some CuMine [256k L2].

Just a heads-up,
                    Mark F.

Also a new stepping of CuMines should be out begining of April. Now we know why the Feb backorders wont be filled, and a larger supply is expcted in March (Intel dumping any unsold stock of current CuMines).

------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                    and burped out a movie

Comment

He Mr Jammrock is it possible to overclock the Intel810 without the Coppermine and just a cellie?

And how do you use the Extended-Configurations on the 810? I can't activate it.

Thanx
                      Cyberdude

------------------
                      I'm just 15, Dutch, can speak 5 languages and my grades arn't to good!
                      So bare/bear.............ehe
                      Please try to understand me.?!? Ok??
                      I do not know, do you?

Comment

Point taken Gurm. Myself saving up to get the other stuff, basically memory and HD. Plan to get MS-6167 and probably an 800 in a couple months (when the price should be affordable and i'll also be making more money [with fingers and toes crossed]). Or if I come into some money sooner i'll get one of them Greebized 500/550s. I've already lined up my memory source from a tested and proven source and am already running my K6-2 450@500 in an IN-WIN Q500 case which I've already tested with Athlon 600, Marvel G400, SBLive!. I won't buy Intel processors out of personal choice but have no problems setting them up or recommending them to clients.
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Mark is correct. The only "flip chip" Coppermines available run on a 100 MHz bus.

This should change shortly, as Intel has warned PC builders to start preparing "quickly" for a transition to the FC-PGA standard.

Right now, in the absence the slocket solution, the only motherboards that support FC-PGA are based on the 810 chipset. This isn't much help to us, as the 810 has integrated video, and is primarily aimed at the OEM market.

Maybe Solano 2, due in the Spring, will provide a better solution for 133 MHz FC-PGA CPU's. It's suppose to support SDRAM instead of the dreaded RDRAM, have an AGP slot and an option for the 1:2 AGP/FSB ratio.

Of course, I have no idea of what Intel will do. They seem to change their minds a lot lately, given the Rambus fiasco and problems with the Camino chipset. They're talking about a 933 MHz Coppermine now.

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Newest roadmap has everything pushed up 1 to 2 quarters. Will find link and post latter, don't have time now. Unless someone else posts link or details before I get back.

Chugging along on my 'old' BX
                            MoBo with, my IWill SlocketII filled by a 550e FC at a rock stable 733MHZ (stock voltage [1.6] and AGP 2X).
                            See it can be done without 810e, 820, or VIA.
                            No drivers to mess with, just pull(old CPU) plug (in new), and play(with updated BIOS [shows as 733eb at boot up]).

Of cource is I had to buy a NEW MoBO, and the newer chipsets were availble, I'd have looked at an Athlon too.

Happy with my Intel setup(for the moment),
                            Mark F.

------------------
                            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                            and burped out a movie

Comment

Hehehe...you get the general idea.

It all boils down to your perspective. If you want an Athlon you may need to get new RAM and Power Supply with your chip and board. And if you want a new PIII @ 133 MHz you may need new RAM and board, too. It is what I like to call Hardware Hell (or empty wallet, take your pick).

Jammrock

------------------
                              PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X