Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info on newer Athlon platforms (post 1st gen motherbords)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agreed Magic-pro is no name product worldwide, however, this brand is quite famous in Hong Kong. It is almost as good as Asus and is the best buy in Hong Kong before Asus K7M become available. The Magic-pro mobo design is almost the same as gigabyte, which I think ?OEM from Gigabyte.
    Anyway, I have not encountered any Hardware conflict since Day 1.

Athlon 500, 128M Buffalo SDRAM PC100
    G400 32M
    IBM 13.2G harddisk
    Creative AWE64 sound card
    250W power supply

Comment

G7, Nope contacting them won't do you a bit of good.
      Best wait for now.

Rogue, don't worry that it doesn't state 850 at POST. It's still running 850!
      I'm sure they'll have a BIOS update out for it shortly considering AMD last monday announced the release of their 850 chip!

------------------
      Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
      Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
      CPUmark99 75
      FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

So help me
        what must i do to get a 110clockgen K7Pro?
        Unfortunately Magic pro is not available in the republic of ZA and i have not found a taiwanese reseller online that ships to ZA
        grrrrr
        Now i wish i had family in taiwan and the US
        You all may think this is not important.
        BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Comment

Thanks for the info Greebe.

At the moment I've switched back to my old MS-6167 (never thought I'd use that again). Flashed to the latest (1.5) BIOS. Overclocked my 550 to 900MHz with no problems. All going well so far. Strangely the BIOS identifies it as 901MHz.

Comment

g7, i had (note had xitel platnum storm) nice card but i had preformance problems (read random lockups alot with agp2x and fewer with forced agp1x on my ky system.)even with the latest drivers. removeing this card. and droping in a live x gamer solved the lock ups. agp 2x with side banding works no reg hacks ect....

try removeing the sound card. (oh the xitel worked fine in my bx system.)

------------------
            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, sb live xgamer sound card, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, microsoft inteli mouse explorer(5 buttons, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers.

noel
            Don't son that gun is loaded.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Comment

Hmmm tnx
              I also saw that a while back
              But tnx anyway
              Now the question is has any one been able to run any Vortex 2 card in a similar setup?

I have also seen that 99% of my Q3A probs with random quitting was with invalid operations in A3Dapi.dll or if i do not initialize A3D it would quit through an error in User.exe.
              This is strange since the Xitel SP is a reference board desighn from Aureal personally.
              I also know of some probs with the Diamond Monster sound mx300 which also uses the Vortex 2 chip.

I mailed Xitel about this but they gave me the expected response -
              1. reinstall windows
              2. use latest drivers
              3. update bios
              4. disable DS3D acceleration

which by the way was not helpfull at all
              I have not yet tried the 2048 drivers but i will post my findings soon.
              Strangely the 2041 drivers did not work at all for me.
              I also do not yet have a K7Pro so i'll check that too.
              Hmmm it would be sad to have an Athlon and not be able to use an Aureal SQ3500

And please could someone reply on this - does the vortex 2 (SQ2500,Xitel SP,Monster sound mx300,Turtle beach) work with the Athlon platform?

Does any one know what core and cache speed a week 1 of 2000 K7 650 have?

Comment

from what ive read, its a hit or miss type of thing, on wheather or not a vortex 2 works with an atalon. some are reporting no problems, some are reporting problems that are fixed bby latest drivers, and some had the problem i had witch was that the lastest drivers helped but did not completely solve the problem. ie get a live shelf the v2.
                (i sold it to my uncle for 30.00) oh and i must say once i worked out the bugs the k7 is the most stable and fastest system i ever used. (my preveius system was a oc p2 350 at 450 on a bh6) im once again a happy amd owner.

------------------
                msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, sb live xgamer sound card, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, microsoft inteli mouse explorer(5 buttons, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers.

noel

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Comment

Well i checked into it for the past day and i also spoke to a Rockstar in #A3D on Efnet who has a athlon withthe MSI 6167 and he also reported no probs.
                  I think this problem is directly associated to noise on the PCI bus similarly to the AGP problem on AMD 750 chipset motherboards.

I am silly aren't I?
                  Ask a questiona nd answer it myself.
                  hehehehe

btw
                  Have you heard A3D3.0?
                  outstanding - you will be sorry you sold the V2 :P

Comment

Well i checked into it for the past day and i also spoke to a Rockstar in #A3D on Efnet who has a athlon withthe MSI 6167 and he also reported no probs.
                    I think this problem is directly associated to noise on the PCI bus similarly to the AGP problem on AMD 750 chipset motherboards.

I am silly aren't I?
                    Ask a questiona nd answer it myself.
                    hehehehe

btw
                    Have you heard A3D3.0?
                    outstanding - you will be sorry you sold the V2 :P

Comment

Working...
                    X