iPhone or Blackberry for busines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone or Blackberry for busines

It's renewal time for work phones and we wil be upgrading 7 handsets.

We can have the iPhone 4S 16GB or any BlackBerry handset.

I am in charge of the process and currently run 10 handsets through our own BES Express server on our Exchange 2007 box.

I know I can run a mix of devices (and already do with three iPads also connecting to exchange) so I don't think technology is an issue.

What would you all go for, for a work phone?

To me the only deciding factor is the physical keyboard. I dabbled with a touchscreen TG01 in the past and hated it, but I think that was a failing on the phone/OS rather than the principle. I am now using a Blackberry 9810, which has touchscreen and slide-out qwerty keyboard - best of both worlds but it is bulky and battery is 2 days max if not used for calls.
    iPhone 4s
    0%
    Blackberry
    0%
    other
    0%
    FT.

I love BB. Mostly business. Have a Bold 9900 (with the size of KB like the 9000, not that crappy 9700 stuff). Somewhat decent screen (640x480). 9810 is bulky indeed.

Having said that, battery life is not even as good as on the 9000, especially with BT and (even worse) WiFi turned on. If you can hold a bit you might be able to go BB10.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

It looks like BB10 is due next year, and the company is ailing.

I just remembered the other advantage of BB: the waranty is 24 months but iPhone is 12 months. The contract wil be 24 months.
      FT.

Comment

Ah well, the 9900 does well for me (aside from a somewhat indecent battery life). It is a very good MP3 player as well.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm not a motorola fan, but the Razr is amazing - corporate wise.

This is one example killer app (there are other similar applications but NOWHERE as good):
          https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YXJ0cnVsZXMiXQ..

It comes with some good preinstalled applications as well. All in all, very good experience, especially compared to the Samsung Galaxy SII.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Unless you need tiny physical keyboard go iPhone or maybe Samsung. Galaxies I had a chance to play with are quite nice.

Comment

I really like my Motorola Droid X2, but it's the only smart phone I've owned. So nothing to compare it to.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Our marketing bunnies use iPhones but the techs (actual workers) use Samsung Galaxy S2s. I use a SGS2 with no problems.. I think using an iPhone for business is more about image than function..
                paulw

Comment

I have a cheap BB for work and hate it... Damn buttons are too small for an old fart like me and the battery cover kept falling off so I super glued it on for good... ARRRRR!!!

For personal use the wife and I each got a Droid Razor Maxx and love them. Just got the ICS upgrade this weekend.
                  Last edited by ALBPM; 1 July 2012, 20:50.
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I'd take a look at Samsung's SAFE approach:

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/sa...for-enterprise

SAFE-certified devices meet rigorous security criteria and are configured specifically with enterprise use in mind. The deployment of SAFE smartphones and Samsung Galaxy Tab™ tablets helps ensure that your organization’s mobile workforce is protected to the greatest possible degree through On-Device Encryption and Mobile Device Management (MDM). SAFE devices are also equipped with enhanced features that maximize efficiency and productivity through Virtual Private Network (VPN) connectivity and enhanced Corporate Email/Calendar/Contact features.
                    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

RIM is hurting and bleeding right now, their stock is dropping like a rock and they delayed BB10 yet again. BBOS 7.0 is nothing major and is already outdated, good if you want to text using BBM or check your e-mails.
                      BB's are obsolete.

The industry is adopting BYOD which means people are not stuck to BB's any longer and are incorporating iPhones and Androids as corporate phones, and our company is doing exactly that.

And now Windows phone 8 is coming out with many business and security features that will please the corp world.

BB's are history, it's sad to say, even as a Canadian

Comment

Are there any major tech industries based in Canada these days since Nortel died and now RIM is going the same way??
                        paulw

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
                          Are there any major tech industries based in Canada these days since Nortel died and now RIM is going the same way??
                          Matrox?

Two people went for BB9900, the rest went for iPhones.

Supply is proving to be an issue. They are still the most popular thing around apparently.
                          FT.

Comment

Forgot about Matrox. Never hear anything of them these days apart from an email once or twice a year with their latest wares..
                            paulw

Comment

I am still a beta boy for Matrox btw

I test the video products, specifically the MXO2 line and it's really nice. check it out... http://www.matrox.com/video/en/solutions/adobe/

cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X