Whats happened to my Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats happened to my Memory

I bought my PC about 1 and half years ago.
    I ordered 128mb ram, and I've always had 128mb ram, until this morning :-(

My computer says I only have 80mb now!

NoooooOOoo

Whats gone wrong, I've checked each DIMM individually and right enough, one registers as 64mb while the other 16mb..

Has my 64mb DIMM disintegrated to 16mb..

What can I do, anyone??

My Mobo is a ASUS P5A, AMD K6-3 450MHz, G400 16mb.

Please help!

Did you try that dimm in a different socket? It could be the socket and not the dimm. I've seen a socket go bad in an old Gateway...

Comment

Try the suspect dimm in another computer, one that for sure works properly. I could be the mb, as usually if a stick of mem is bad, it is bad completely, not 1/4 bad.

------------------
      AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.5010, 1 grey cat, one black cat and one calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Cheers guys, I actually fixed the problem before reading your stuff..

What I did...

1. Took both DIMMs out again.
        2. Looked at them.
        3. Cursed
        4. Blowed air on them.
        5. Licked the connectors with my tongue :-)
        6. Put them back in.
        7. Turned on.

It now says I have 128mb again!

Phew, thank god for that!
        :-0

Comment

Licking and blowing on contacts are old Nintendo tricks. The sockets on these consoles were so cheap and the games were inserted and taken out so much that they often failed because the copper traces on the cartridges wore off or corrosion built up. By licking or blowing, a thin layer of spit was deposited and contact could be re-established with the sockets. The downside of this is that licking eventually corrodes everything even more.

A better solution is to clean the contacts either with alcohol and a Q-tip or gently rub them with a pencil eraser until the contacts are shiny again. If you use alcohol, just make sure its dry before you put the memory back in. This is one reason manufacturers used to recommend using tin contacts on tin socket and gold contacts on gold plated sockets. Unlike metals build up corrosion quickly.

RAB
          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Or, you could just drink the alcohol and forget the game

BTW- anyone see the new X-files that was on tonight? Great idea for a show, however poorly written and implemented...
            Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

An interesting idea out of the mind of William Gibson; however corrupted to fit into 'mainstream' prime-time TV and the X-FILES.

Mark F.

------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
              --------------------------------------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
              X