Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Altair to iPad: 35 years of personal computer market share

verrry interesting travel back in time

Back in 2005, we charted 30 years of personal computer market share to show graphically how the industry had developed, who succeeded and when, and how some iconic names eventually faded away completely. With the rise of whole new classes of "personal computers"—tablets and smartphones—it's worth updating all the numbers once more. And when we do so, we see something surprising: the adoption rates for our beloved mobile devices absolutely blow away the last few decades of desktop computer growth. People are adopting new technology faster than ever before.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...-market-share/
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Interesting... I quickly glanced at the graphs. It is amazing to see that Symbian had at one point nearly 90% market share... How did they manage to lose that one?! (rhetorical question)

For sure, it must stop at one point...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I remember the time when PC-compatibles were not 100% compatible and compatibility was one of the things that clones were reviewed on. I had no idea the Atari 400/800 predated the C64 though.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Ahh, I am getting old and foggy. I was thinking 600XL/800XL....
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
        X