First annoyance of ipad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First annoyance of ipad...

Just got an iPad, and had some annoyances...

1. At startup, it NEEDS wifi or you cannot continue. But you cannot view the MAC address, so it requires disabling MAC filtering on a router if you have that enabled.

2. The apple id needs a credit card. So I browsed a bit and found how to create an apple id without entering credit card info. (basically, you have to attempt to install a free application, it then asks you to create an apple id, and then you have the option to chose "none" for credit card info).

3. some things are a bit obfuscated. The possible gestures for instance, or the settings of some programs. But that is a matter of getting used to it.

Still have to figure out how to connect to my wifi at work (it requires a certificate), and to my different mail servers (some have complex SSL configurations).

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Originally posted by VJ View Post
    Just got an iPad, and had some annoyances...

1. At startup, it NEEDS wifi or you cannot continue. But you cannot view the MAC address, so it requires disabling MAC filtering on a router if you have that enabled.
    Disable MAC filtering. If your WPA(2) setup is secured at a reasonable level, then people who have a reasonable chance at cracking that will laugh at MAC filtering.

Originally posted by VJ View Post
    2. The apple id needs a credit card. So I browsed a bit and found how to create an apple id without entering credit card info. (basically, you have to attempt to install a free application, it then asks you to create an apple id, and then you have the option to chose "none" for credit card info).

3. some things are a bit obfuscated. The possible gestures for instance, or the settings of some programs. But that is a matter of getting used to it.

Still have to figure out how to connect to my wifi at work (it requires a certificate), and to my different mail servers (some have complex SSL configurations).

Jörg
    Can you transfer files through bluetooth to the iPad? I recently tried to copy pictures from either of my cellphones (Nokia featurephone and a Sony Ericcson S60v5 phone), and neither succeeded.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
      Disable MAC filtering. If your WPA(2) setup is secured at a reasonable level, then people who have a reasonable chance at cracking that will laugh at MAC filtering.
      Yes, I disabled it, then added the iPad to the devicelist. I know it does not add much protection, but I figure all little bits help.

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
      Can you transfer files through bluetooth to the iPad? I recently tried to copy pictures from either of my cellphones (Nokia featurephone and a Sony Ericcson S60v5 phone), and neither succeeded.
      My iPad refuses to pair with my Sony Ericsson, an Android phone. The iPad just says: "unsupported device". I should update to the latest Android, but have to have access to my computer first.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Perhaps the bluetooth connectivity issue has todo with Apple's busted Bluetooth.
        I've done a bit of digging into auto diag devices OBDII and the like and discovered right off the bat that while these wifi devices have the fastest PID read speeds but they don't work with android (out of the box). Rooted adhoc can be added. The apps designed for android use bluetooth, but none for Apple do.

I hear this all the time from the app dev's for both products. Apple's bluetooth is good for streaming audio and the like, but not data, that's what wifi is for.

I've tested various wifi and bluetooth OBDII scantools and decided on the top of the line OBDLink MX for it's wifi fast even tho it's bluetooth, secure, does everything expected and works with the greatest range of protocols. The others were, broken, didn't support protocols claimed, lack of device support, or shitty little chinese ELM knockoffs
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X