No announcement yet.

Suggestion for NIC Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the great info! The install is less than 3 weeks away!

Based on my needs and the feedback, I'll probably pick up a Linksys 10/100 this weekend.

Thanks again!
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Switch People:

Now, the real question here is:

Is it worth changing to a switch if you already own a hub? For example, I have an internal network running at 100bt, and the uplink of the 100bt hub runs into a 10/100 switch out to the cable modem.

I only run 2 computers (mine and my wife's) 24/7, any others are one-time only, or short-term use (like my laptop).

So would a switch increase my performance, given that my maximum bandwidth (as prescribed by Media One) is only 1.5mbit? I think not.

Shaqdaddy:

The Etherlink III gives substantially more than 1mbit/sec. The maximum throughput of the card is, in fact, limited to 768kilobytes/sec., simply because that is the effective bandwidth of the ISA bus (I may be off by a hair, nobody flame me for inadequate accuracy on 10-year-old technology!).

However, it will handle 10bt connections at up to 5 or 6 mbit... not bad for a little baby ISA board. Obviously that's the maximum of the ISA bus as well.

The same chipset, on a PCI card, can handle the full 10mbit put out by the 10bt connection. Those cards enjoyed a very limited run (3c590).

Ahartman:

Get a 3com card. Save yourself the worry. They're the single best available cards. You can pick up a 3c905 (Fast Etherlink XL) for under $70. You can pick up some of the cheaper older models for even less (order away, no longer carried in stores).

It's not NECESSARY to get the 3com card - Intel cards are also nice. But the 3com has substantially less CPU overhead than practically any other card on the market, and that's just the way it is.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Good points Gurm, but my opinion still varies slightly from yours. My thoughts are, why pay close to $70 for one 3Com or Intel NIC when you can pay $97 for 2 NIC's, 2 15' CAT5 cables, a 5-port switch, Internet sharing software and a game (Decent 3 last I checked)? LinkSYS may not be the best, but for home networking purposes it does great. I use this exact set-up at home and I get great transfer rates and have had no troubles. If he was connecting his computer to a corporate network I would say 3Com or Intel without hesitation.

As for switch vs. hub to connect to DSL, like I said, I told it how it worked for my friends on DSL. I guess I should have used the word 'responsive' instead of faster. They said that there was a noticable increase in response time to the Internet over the DSL once they switched to a switch (LinkSYS) from a hub (3Com 10/100). My $0.02.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

IceStorm,

The IPX header thing was a joke. Ha ha, funny, joke, laugh laugh...

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
          X