No announcement yet.

New PC Build :) Gaming Orientated :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uhm, certainly you could have picked a different name for Rosetta?

Real bummer that black screen thing. I would have expected it to be fixed by now given that it is almost two months ago. Hope you get it running well soon.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I didn't choose a name for Rosetta. I only chose the Team, which is Matrox Users. It must have taken the system name by default.
      The PC rebooted after some Windows update overnight, going to have to turn that off, and was still going this morning.

Have left Rosetta as screensaver, hoping it didn't crash a few minutes after leaving for work. (That would be Sod's Law).

I got rid of the ULPS mode (Ultra Low Power Saving ?) and upped the GPU Voltage by 31 somethings (The Sapphire TRIXX utility cleverly doesn't label the voltage scale at all....)

If its still running when I get home tonight, i'll be surprised.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Well, it has delivered its first credits! Welcome to the team!
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Well it didn't crap out.

CPU and GPU have been Rosetta-ing all day.
          How does it compare to other systems ?

edit : looks like its about 1700-2000 / day
          Last edited by Evildead666; 31 December 2013, 10:33.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Rosetta does not use GPU. An i5-3570K running 24/7 would do quite a bit better than 2K credits methinks.

Comment

Ah, the Boinc manager states that GPU computing is activated, so I just supposed it was using it, as well as it being the active screensaver.

Also remember that my RAM is running at miserable speeds, compared to what it should be running at, and if its a CPU only program its probably very reactive to CPU/Memory interface.

Comment

It's hard to say for me and that my server went down for 7 hours (probably hit the shutdown instead of log off key in RDP, duh!) but I think it runs about 5K credits a day. That is a 3770@3.2Ghz and, mostly, with seven threads as it is back upping a lot through the day. Memory is basic DDR3-1333(!). Methinks yours should be able to do 3.5K easily at stock speeds when running 24/7. I think more.

Comment

Well it hasn't crashed in a few days.
                  I'm starting to think it may ahve been a Windows Update that fixed it, or it really was the ULPS (Ultra Low Power Saver) that was doing it.
                  I even managed to play a bit of Skyrim, Stalker : COP, GTA4-SecuRom won't allow me to play (****ing DRM), and Uplay was updating, so after an hour, I still couldn't play Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon.

I even overclocked the GPU to 1100, but dodn't get a lot of tests in, it being 2am and having work this morning....

Comment

Hasn't crashed as in it's running 24/7? Might want something else to stress the GPU or is FurMark running along as well?

Comment

Question the first. What temp does the CPU hit when at full load?
                      Question the second. Is it loud over all?
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

No, I leave that PC on, and it doesn't go into sleep mode. Rosetta runs in the background mostly all the time.

The CPU hits 52°C roughly at full load, at whatever spped its at now, I think its at 4GHz boost on all four cores. could be 3.8Ghz.

I haven't loaded the GPU/CPU information tools for a few days, since I read that they could be causing the Blackscreen lockups.

Comment

Right, time for an update.

Rosetta for a week or so non-stop on the CPU worked fine, so thats stable along with the cooling.

I have set up a Litecoin miner on the GPU, its a right royal pain in the arse to set up, getting the right settings takes lot and lots of trial and error.
                          You have to get th maximum out of the GPU memory, since any type of mining id particularly sensitive to it.

I had the Memory at 1500x4 (6GHz effective) , and was upping the GPU core, got to 1150 ok.
                          1200, even with more voltage, the system froze. 3 times in a row. (It never got above 43°C full load)

Then the mining software started to give me hardware errors, and I started bricking my pants
                          I have dropped the memory back down to 1350, and the core back to 1100. 42°C full load.
                          Then I found out that one of the values in the mining software (The TC) was causing the hardware errors somehow (I can't explain it).
                          Anyway, at a TC of 25600 its working fine, with an intensity of 13, anything higher and I can't watch vids on it, too choppy.

Soo, at an average of 550-750 KH/s, I have about 0.3 Litecoins, for just over 48 hours continuous mining at, probably, 300W for the GPU.
                          Going to be trying Bitcoins next, just to see how bloody long it would take to get ONE, or even 0.1

Mining + Rosetta is possible, but the GPU maxed at 42°C, and the CPU load temp rose by 10°C (due to the extra heat from the GPU) to about 62°C.

Still running the cpu memory at 1600 Cas 11 (horrible), and I'm probably going to have to pull two of the sticks for 8GB RAM total, to get the speeds I want.
                          At least i'll have a couple of spares if one dies at some time in the future (look on the bright side of life )

Haven't put the 650 GTX in yet, waiting to hear about compatibility between Mantle and PhysX first, otherwise a 5850 is likely going to find its way in there for some extra mining (should it not be a complete waste of energy).

Comment

Well, Litecoin mining is pretty good. Could probably get 1 LTC/Week if I left it on 24/7 continuous.
                            Trying out Bitcoin mining now for a bit, just to see the difference, and average.
                            Will probably give it a good week or so, depending, maybe more, maybe less.

Looking at the stats, its likely that after a month of Bitcoining i'd probably have a very very very small amount, probably not even 1$. The complexity has gone so high, and its going up every 10-12 days, making it less and less wirth it for non-ASIC miners.
                            Litecoin is still faesible for GPU miners, and soon ASIC's, or at least FPGA's will take over.

For the moment i'm at 710 MHash/s average BTC mining, at 1100/1350 MHz on the Radeon R9 290.
                            Litecoin uses Scrypt, which give KHash/s, and Bitcoin is SHA-256 based, which gives MHash/s (afaik).

It would be funny to find out that Bitcoin/Litecoin/Etc is just a way of getting people to crack encryption for the NSA/Etc
                            You're being paid for a service Hahahha.

Whens GTA5 out for PC ?
                            Last edited by Evildead666; 26 January 2014, 06:19.

Comment

Not played anything really yet, hence no benchmarks.

Have Holidays i'm going to be forced to take coming up in the next few months, so i'll be able to bench like crazy then.
                              And GTA5 might have actually come out, or been announced at least.

Slight update, GPU has been at 100% at 1100/1350 +120mV, 43°C load for a few weeks now.
                              The CPU at 100% as well, has been on since last night, and it varies from 58-63°C @4.0GHz and 1.196V.
                              All fans at 12V, all the time. Not too loud, which makes me think they aren't at full speed.
                              Its actually quite quiet.

Edit : One thing I don't think i've mentioned yet.
                              I am using the integrated Fan Controller in the Fractal Design Arc Mini R2.
                              I've doubled up each fan header, so I have all the 8 fans on the Controller.
                              Here's where it gets risky.
                              The fan Controller is currently working ok on the 12V position.
                              Its fed from the external 90W power brick thats also powering the Watercooling setups, and is UPS'd.
                              If I put the Fan Controller on the 7V position, all the fans stop working.
                              If I put the fan controller in the 5V position, the fans work, but at a slow speed, what I would consider to be the 7V setting, if the 12V setting is really 12V.

I might be overloading the fan controller, but it hasn't crapped out yet, and the noise level is perfectly acceptable, compared to the cooling.

Just wondering what it will be like in the summer, when ambient is going to be 30°C higher.
                              Last edited by Evildead666; 13 February 2014, 12:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X