Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3dfx Voodoo5 6000 - a frightening fact...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And what happens if the powercord to the card (not PC) gets janked out???

------------------
    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    192 MB RAM CAS2
    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

[This message has been edited by Technoid (edited 19 March 2000).]
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You wanna talk power? Where I work, we have twin 747 turbine engines that kick in if the power goes out. The whole country could lose power and we'd still be running as long as we have fuel.

The Rock
      Bart

Comment

Damn, where do you work?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat:

RCMP. Our mainframe NEVER goes down unless we put it down.

The Rock
          Bart

Comment

We have a HUGE box of candles
            jim
            PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
            128mb pc-100 cas 2
            Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
            Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se & DX7
            and 384k DSL!

Comment

Dam the rock, your work beets my work, we only have a cat v16 generator.

Why dose that picture make me think of those joke card pic/ ads that we had gone a few months back. Almost makes me wonder if 3dfx engineers are on crack or something.

Noel

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 20 March 2000).]
              msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
              it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

For me the real threat is not 3dfx but Nvidia.
                The 3dfx-empire is dead.......
                So we should only compare the G800 with the new G-Farce 2.... not cards that basically consist of 4 Voodoo2 chips!!!!!!!!1 ;P (sarcasm)
                Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Come on, guys, that card is as ugly as SCARY!!! And it comes with a black sidekick!

My god, what can my puny G200 do against that monster!!???

------------------
                  Remember folks:
                  "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers"
                  Pablo Picasso

Comment

Actually, the worst part of the whole deal from what I see is that you can't lock the power connector into the card. Why do you think they put 2 little screws on almost every connector out there? It would be especially important here - I can see myself going to plug my speakers into my sound card and mistakenly pulling the cord out. Oh well, not like I'm gonna get one anyway...

Jon
                    My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
                    2 Pentium III 500 MHz
                    256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
                    Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
                    2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
                    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
                    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
                    Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
                    Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
                    Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

I think its a good idea. If having an external power supply is going to fix lots of incompatability problems then how can that be bad?

Also, Ive never had a cable 'fall' out of the back of my computer. What do you guys do? use you tower cases as foot rests?

Anyway, I would love a Matrox external power supply. I would have it sitting next to my UPS in pride of place. At least nobody would think I was running a S3 or other crap card.

Actually, I would love an external video card! Just have a plug for the AGP slot, then have your vid card sit in a box behind your monitor. With MATROX written all over it. That would also solve the heat problem, and having one of those little blue break out boxes for the Marvel owners.

Ali

Comment

fork it, why not just have an external computer! no housing, just a Socket Blockā„¢ into which every single component plugs in, these Socket Blocks can be daisy chained together. The links between them would be fibre optic of course to eliminate any bandwidth constraints, a power source running along side it in the same cable, and there's no reason, that a common interface couldn't be applied to every single component.

The Socket Block would act like a network switch, the data paths would never be used concurrently, thus providing maximum bandwidth to each component. (Unless of course somebody else can come up with a good reason to do otherwise?)

Buy a new hard drive, just plug it in anywhere, no limits. Want to take it over to a mates place? unplug it and take it with you.

What do you people think? Has a product idea been born?
                        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
                        X