Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of these?

http://www.alteclansing.com/products/acs56.html

I'm thinking of buying them. Does anyone else have any recommendations. Keep in mind that I don't want to buy a home theater system for my computer and spend lots of money. These speakers retail for $150. All of the other mainstream speakers on the market use less watts or the good ones are only 3 piece. This one is 35W for the bass and another 35W for the 4 speakers. The FR is 30Hz-18kHz. S/N ratio is >65dB and input impedence is >10k ohms. All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

------------------
    I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Doh! I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry ~blush~

Kruzin, can you move this over for me.

Thanks,

Dave

------------------

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Don't get stuck on watts...final sound is and should be determining factor...although the grapevine says these are decent speakers.

Comment

Dave,
        I guess you missed the big audio thread back around Christmas time. Anyways, I've got the ACS54's which are the little brothers to the 56's. Their FR is anything but flat, but it can be managed. Here is the FR before and after EQ that I added using the EQ in the SQ2500 software:
        BEFORE EQ:

AFTER EQ:

With a lot of EQ you can get them +-5db up to 4000.

The 56's use a bigger bass module, so they are likely to go a bit deeper and might not have as big a bass hump. But you will undoubtedly need to turn the bass down just a little with EQ since the speakers themselves don't have a bass volume control.

They are not exactly flat, but for $150 dollars you can't do any better. If you like really big explosions in your games, these are the ones.

RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I had the 56's for about a week. They were not bad so if money is a concern they are decent. But if you have the cash spend the extra 100.00 and get what I ended up with (klipsch promedia) 250. These speakers blow every thing away. (You can feel the bass, (i.e. rocket impacts. with the sub 160wats rms and sats 4x60 watts rms) you feel a wave of air hit you when playing music games ect...)

Just my 2cents

------------------
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, sb live xgamer sound card, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, microsoft inteli mouse explorer(5 buttons, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers.

noel
          Don't son that gun is loaded.

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 24 March 2000).]
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Based on everything I've read, these are much better than the ACS56's. I already ordered them, unfortunately there is a 6 week backlog. Thanks! They look real sweet and exactly what I've been looking for. The bummer part is I already completely setup the ACS's, running wire, mounting brackets, etc...but I've only had them for a couple of days. Back to Fry's for a return

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X