SWAP FILE QUESTION UNDER WIN2000PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAP FILE QUESTION UNDER WIN2000PRO

Hi I have question because I don't understand something.

How big suppose to be swap file under w2k when I have 384 mb ram and in few days I'm goinng to add another 128 to have in total 512 mb ram?????

I heard about that I'll have to have swap file 2x bigger than my ram! Is that correct?? Is that making any sense to have 1GB swap file????
    How (in w2k of course) I can check how often and how much do I really need swap file because I'adding memory to prevent using hard drive as low as possible and I don't want to wasing 1gb for swap file. Let say isn't 64mb or 128mb of swap file enough???
    I want to use on board memory insted of swap file which is faster than my hard drive (IBM 20gb 7200rpm udma33)
    Please give me some advice or any link where I can read about that issue cause this is really pissing me off!!!!
    Asus p3b-f p3 600E 512mb ram pc100 G400 sh 16mb sb live x-gamer ibm hd 20gb 7200rpm ide 3com 56.6 modem 3com 905b nic asus 50x plextor 4832 cdrw ide viewsonic gt775 hp dj720 hp sj 4100c Win 2000 pro

The issue isn't how often you'll use all the swap, but if you'll EVER use it. And you will. The more memory you have, the more stuff you'll do. Trust me, I know. When I went from 128 to 256, I said "WoW! This is FAST!" and proceeded to get into the habit of running Photoshop, Frontpage, 10 Web windows, and a file copy or two running all at once. Well, that chewed through my 256MB pretty quick, and hit the swap again!

The key item here is that you need to be able to swap ALL of memory out and back again. That's why you need swap equal to twice the size of your memory. You will rarely use this much swap. Normally you will use much less (not none, on a 512MB system you'll probably be using 128-256MB of swap all the time!), but you are talking about setting up a static amount of cache. If you let windows manage the cache, it gets all fragmented. If you manage it, you have to make it big so you don't run out.

Because the first time you get some greedy or leaky program you'll need all the cache you can get!

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Use trial and error and test out.

Many programs and especialy IEx is designed to goble up a large chunk of swap despite the amount of physical memory!

------------------
      INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
      G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
      SBlive
      192 MB RAM CAS2
      43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
      Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
      SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
      X