Windows 98SE Question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 98SE Question:

Anyone know how to modify Windows so that children who use the computer are presented with a tamper-proof environment? I guess that means either a shell on Windows or removing alot of the functionality from the desktop.

I think your only option is to make a public example of the first kid to screw it up...

I've seen stuff like Norton Desktop (is it still around?) but they are bloat-ware and slow everything down tremendously.

I know you can do some stuff with NT (as admin) that makes things unavailable to users but I don't know how to do the same with 95/98.
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Actually, I was planning to use it, at least initially, on my daughter's computer at home. She is responsive to my warnings, but curious (3 yrs old) and will eventually find the Start menu. Fortunately, the programs she uses totally hide menus and the system tray. It is after the programs are quit that the problem arises.

Comment

You can use Tweakui to disable stuff in Windows, like "Run" etc..

You can find Tweakui on the Wondows98 CD not 98SE
        I do not know, do you?

Comment

There was a program called kids desk..they chose a name and password and setup there own desktop with screen savers backgrounds etc YOU decide what that user can access in the way of programs drives printers etc..should still be out there... Matt

------------------
          Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 882,vantec 5030 cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

Thanks, those are good ideas. I'll see what I can come up with.

B

Comment

Working...
            X