Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P3B-F Temperature Problem

Hi people,

An ol' co-worker of mine asked me for help in buying a new computer, and for the motherboard I suggested an Asus P3B-F. Well, she recently picked up her computer and brought it home. When she tried to set it up, the system would alert her that the cpu temperature was nearing 100 degrees celcius, but when she touches the heatsink, it's cool to the touch. BTW, she has a P3-600 Slot 1 Coppermine CPU.

She took the computer back to the store, but the techs checked out the stuff and told her everything was fine, but to disable the temperature monitor. She was unsure about that suggestion, and so am I. Has anybody else who has a P3B-F had this problem before?

ThanX.

Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

I have about a dozen P3B-F boards here at work and none of them report the temp correctly. The new bios should fix the problem but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

ThanX for the help guys. My friend told me she applied the latest BIOS, which I believe is 1005. She told me she is still receving that temp. error, so she has decided to disable the temp. alarm in the BIOS. She's configured the system now, and everything has been working fine for the whole day. No problems have been encountered yet.

Aside from this problem, she likes the new motherboard she has. She just wishes that she didn't have to disable a safety feature to get it working. ThanX for the help guys.

Regard,

Ben
      Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

My understanding is that that temp comes from a diode or thermistor built into the cpu. The fact that it and the mobo are a flaky combo, then, should not be a complete surprise.

Is this a problem at other mobo sites?
        System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

I agree with Jammrock, the P3B-F board is an excellent mobo and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Comment

I just bought the P3B-F and I love it, but did any of you guys have a MAJOR discrepancy between the temperature in the BIOS and the temperature read by Asus PC Probe?? My BIOS says 45-50 degrees C and PC Probe says only 29. I'm scared man.

The Rock
            Bart

Comment

A lot of the P3B-F's have that problem, and I don't know why. Disabling the CPU Temp in the BIOS is the only way I know of to fix it. Besides that little glitch, the P3B-F is a rock solid board.

Jammrock

------------------
              Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
              X