No announcement yet.

Problem with a Coppermine 600E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh boy sounds like what I was seeing. Just built a system with a AOpen AX6BC PRO II Millennium board using the PIII 600E and the MSI-6905 master (2). When power was first turned on the screen was black. After pushing the reset button the system would then run the post tests and display to the CRT via the G400MAX. As I was trying to boot off the floppy to format my new WD 13gig HD, the floppy reader would get read errors. What I ended up doing was setting both the mobo and the MSI MS-6905 to force the core to 1.6 and FSB to 100MHZ. That enabled me to build my system and have it boot correctly. Haven't had a chance to do anything else yet other than load the OS (Win98SE). Hope this helps.
    BATBOY

Comment

I have a feeling it may be the slocket as well. The reason I asked about whether it was Slot 1 or a Flip Chip is the slocket brings another variable into the equation. I'd recheck the settings. I'd also use a diagnostic utility in Windows to make sure the slocket isn't messing up your voltage settings.

If you can exchange the slocket for another, maybe IWill's (and I think Asus is making one), you might want to do so. It might be the motherboard, but it certainly would be an easier fix if it was the slocket's fault.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their help. It's been much appreciated.

CHHAS: It appears that the convertor can be set to let the board auto detect the voltage or set the voltage itself (for example, if I set the voltage on the Slotket at spec and then set the voltage in the Bios higher my system show that the detected voltage is what was set on the card and it's setting it to the higher voltage set in the BIOS).

BATBOY: I tried what you did with your setup and still have the same problem, it still doesn't boot until I hit the reset button. Damn! I thought that your idea showed some promise. Ah well....

Paulcs: Checked the voltage through Motherboard monitor And Sysoft Sandra and it's showing correctly. Also, the card works fine when I pop my original Celeron in (it works with both PPGA and the 'Flip Chip'.

I can't think of anything else to try and I'm worried that the problems that have been showing up could lead to damage in the various components so I'm thinking that I should just pick up a new board that I know is compatible with the Coppermine chips before something blows up on me. Thinking of either the Asus P3B-f or, more likely, the MSI BXMaster as they both appear to be rated as good, stable boards with the potential for decent overclocking.

Just wish that AOpen had been more forthcoming with information cause I really liked this board with my Celerons.

Ah well....

Comment

Try an abit bf6 lots and lots of happy users.. Matt

------------------
          Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 882,vantec 5030 cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

I have to agree, the BF6 is great....so is the original BE6 if you can still find it.

Rags

Comment

I posted the black screen problem over at www.ars-technica.com. Got one reply so far from "built my first" who uses the PRO boards alot for systems he builds for his customers. He also has used PIII 500 and 600E's without any problems. He did mention that he uses the Iwill Slotket rather than the MSI. I don't know if you can get one on loan to try and see if that gets rid of the problem. I just order one from Azzo, just for grins.

BATBOY

[This message has been edited by BATBOY (edited 06 April 2000).]
              BATBOY

Comment

No problems with AX6BC (not Pro or Gold) and AX6BC Gold with both SECC2 CuMines and FC-PGA (with IWill SlocketII) in any combo. I use the jumpes on the Slocket to set it to AUTO and then let the MoBo controlle the settings.

Here are the recomended lot #s:
                Model Lot #

AX6B 73, 38, 19, 74, 57, 12, 93, 58

AX6BC 00, 65, 38, 84, 57, 12, 49, 95, V2, M, N

AX6BC Pro 17, 52, 66, 47, 82, 90

AX6BC Pro II 33, 64, 29, 78, 90, 95, 17, 12, 48, 73 / Millennium Edition All lots

Taken direct from the AOpen web site, been up there for a while.
                http://english.aopen.com/tech/report/cpuref/p2cpu.htm

Mark F.

------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                --------------------------------------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                and burped out a movie

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help.

Got a new board on Friday (MSI BXMaster, very nice board), installed it and almost lost my whole system (Please don't ask. Suffice it to say, I did a *big* goof). As it turned out I blew my memory and screwed up a couple of power cables but the rest of the system survived.

Went out and got a new case and some PC 133 memory, installed everything into the new case and, with a few minor glitches, now have everything running just fine. Hooray!

Once I recuperate from this I'm gonna see what I can do re overclocking this sucker.

Anyway, thanks again.

Comment

Victorian,

Just thought I'd toss this into the mix. If you don't already know, the flip chip P3's use a 1.60 core voltage, lower than the 1.65 used by their Slot 1 siblings. Anyway, hope you new systems works out for you.

------------------
                    Regards,

Ben

Config: AOPen AX6BC Pro II Millenium Edition, P3 500E@715, 256MB PC133 RAM, SB Live!, 3Com 3C509TX 10/100, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD reader, STB Blackmagic V2 (SLI) - removed after new TurboGL, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and G773, Win98SE and WinNT 4 Server

Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Obiben: No, I thought that the 'flip chip' ran at 1.65 as well. Thanks for the 'heads up'. It seemed to be running fine at 1.65 but I moved it back down to 1.6.

Everything seems to be working fine with the new board 'cept for a couple of minor 'glitches'. Don't seem to be able to overclock my Max anymore and I suddenly lost my AGP2x. Other than that the new setup seems to be working ok (fingers crossed).

Comment

Just thought i'd let you know. I had similar problems with mine. When i switched off my pc and unplugged it from the wall and then switched it back on again it would require me to reset before it would start up. It would also lose all the bios settings that i had spent hours tweaking. This kept happening and then finally my G400 went POP! I'm getting a new one tommorow, have to make do with a 1mb s3 until then. Sucks or what?
                        1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

The PIII600E FC has a default core voltage of 1.65. I have the retail version and it is marked that way on the box. I also have retail 500 and 550 FC's and they are both 1.6 volts. All 3 are runing default voltage on 133fsb (ASUS mobo's). Intel increased the voltage on the 600 (and above) because it is clocked higher.

Comment

Dwright is correct. Look at this:
                            http://support.intel.com/support/pro...ii/voltreq.htm

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hey guys,

I thought all the FC-PGA coppermines ran at 1.6 volts. I was unaware of the change when the 600E came out. ThanX for pointing this out to me.

Sorry Victorian, in a previous note of mine I said that the FC coppermines were running at 1.6 volts and I thought that this voltage applied to all of them.

------------------
                              Regards,

Ben

Config: AOPen AX6BC Pro II Millenium Edition, P3 500E@715, 256MB PC133 RAM, SB Live!, 3Com 3C905BTX 10/100, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD reader, STB Blackmagic V2 (SLI) - removed after new TurboGL, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and G773, Win98SE and WinNT 4 Server

Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Working...
                              X