Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Trouble With New KA7

Hi,

Just built a new system. (specs below) I've encountered two problems that are preventing me from enjoying my new creation =)

-3 1/2 Floppy drive is not being recognized. If the floppy seek is off, the drive read light will stay on, and it is inaccessible in windows. If the floppy seek is on, I get a floppy seek error (40) at boot.
    -Unreal Tournament is experiencing heavy slowdowns. Happens even if I'm in a small map with 1 bot. My Microsoft Sidewinder is not as responsive as on my other system.

I'm guessing the floppy might be defective, but I'm checking if I'm missing anything. As for UT, I've disabled 4x agp and lowered the agp aperture size to 64mb - didn't help.

Any ideas?
    thnx

Athlon 750
    Abit KA7
    Matrox G400MAX
    2x128mb ECC Crucial
    WD Caviar 30gb
    Sound Blaster Live! X-gamer

1) Your floppy cable is on backwards, turn it around.

2) Can't help you. I just finished building a KA7 athlon system for a friend, but haven't had time to play games. That and he has a GeFarce 256, not a Matrox G400 (they were out of stock at my distributor).

If I figure anything out, I'll tell you. One thing you may want to try is increase the AGP Apeture size to 128 MB RAM and force the AGP to 2x.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Floppy problem was solved by inverting it. (I saw a notch on top connector on the back of the floppy drive, so I assumed that you couldn't connect upside down)

As for the G400max problem... I went out and grabbed a V3 3000 agp. Problem solved. The slowdowns are gone, as is the non-responsive sidewinder joystick. So it has to be a g400/driver problem. Not sure where to go from here...

Comment

Did you try setting the BIOS to AGP 2x and the AGP Apeture size to 128 MB? Sometimes that helps.

BTW, what OS are you running? What version of the G400 driver?

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I tried both 64mb and 128mb AGP Aperture Sizes. I also tried both 2x and 4x AGP.

Win98SE and 5.52 driver. I haven't installed any extra drivers other than what Windows installed. ie. VIA all-in-one drivers, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X