Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harddisk identified as generic type47<---help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harddisk identified as generic type47<---help!

i have a quantum fireball kx 13.6 ATA66 hard drive. but it is identified as generic type 47 in the windows device manager... how can i make it identified as quantum kx...? and its really slow in the sandras sisoft benchmark 2000 a score of 4500+ thats very low for a ATA 66 drive. i have the right cable and mobo...(intel cc820)

thnx for any advice
    Intel PIII 667 mhz, Matrox Millennium G400 Max 32MB DH, 128 PC133 Crucial, SB Live Xgamer, P3V4x, NIC (cable guy), 13.6 gig ATA66 7200 Quantum HD

The Generic Type 47 stands for the User Definable type in BIOS. The other 46 types are for 10-40MB hard disks. I've never had a hard disk that was identified as any other than Type 47 in Windows. So I guess that doesn't effect performance.

Have you checked if the DMA is enabled on the hard drive, do you have any other devices connected to the same IDE cable?
    (0,1) Just my two bits.

Comment

To get it to read off your proper HDD name, usually installing the IDE drivers for your mainboard and not using the windows inbuilt ones does it.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

aight guys i got it.... i installed the intel ATA66 storage driver the beta one...

thnx
        Intel PIII 667 mhz, Matrox Millennium G400 Max 32MB DH, 128 PC133 Crucial, SB Live Xgamer, P3V4x, NIC (cable guy), 13.6 gig ATA66 7200 Quantum HD

Comment

Working...
        X