Athlon 700@900 wont post on my K7Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwamm this, Mega

As far as Athlon cpus,I'd seek the advice from Greebe any day,and hopefully he'll be working on a device to overclock the new spitfire(Duron).
    Personally,I request from both of you to cool your jets.
    I find it rude that both of you run your personal fued on other people's threads,it accomplishes nothing,except fortify the war in Liliput.
    Thanks,
    Alfie

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 30 April 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 30 April 2000).]

Comment

In case anyone is still interested , I now have it running at 900! I changed the old PSU (an Advance MXA-300PTF)to one from Tech Direct, made by HEC. It actually has slightly fewer amps available on the 3.3A line but is still 300W total. I do still have to use the GFD, set to 900, so I wonder if cpu-overclockers screwed up the soldering?

The new PSU is quieter than the old one, but must shift more air as the CPU runs a few degrees cooler too! I've been running SETI for eight hours now (and finished more than one unit) and the CPU is at 37-39, chasis 32-33. PC Alert III hasn't crapped out once yet.

The only downside (apart from having to use the GFD) is that I'm running at 2.05V, which is way too high for my comfort. Stability wasn't that great when playing anything 3D last night but I'm hoping it'll burn in and that will improve.

If it's a question of cooling, anyone got an idea on this: I have a VEK32 (smaller h/s larger fans@4500rpm) on my old 750, and a FKK50 (larger h/s, smaller fans@6500rpm).
      Would it be worth swapping the fans ie would this cool my 900 any more?

Thanks for the help guys,
      Tony.
      FT.

Comment

Glad to hear things are better!
        Swapping the fans may help.(ie.larger fans on larger heatsink.)Worth a try!

Comment

2.05V!?! That's way too high. That CPU probably won't last long. Can you get it down to 1.9V? If not, it's not worth it.

It's probably not a cooling issue, or 2.05V would run you so hot you'd crash in minutes.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I agree with Wombat, it's simply not worth risking your CPU for a relativly small speed increase. I know because I nearly fried a PIII 450 running it at too high a voltage. To be honest, I did see a noticable increase in speed when my machine was running at 540MHZ, hence the then need to overclock, but in the end, I learnt that the extra FPS I saw in games was not worth sacrificing the CPU and the £200 neede to replace it.

I now run an Athlon 800 - no overclock, in my opinion, anything over 600 makes games very smooth and playable, and if Matrox bring out a card with T&L, less of the demand will be on the CPU, and more on the Graphics card. When we reach this stage, along with software that supports T&L, cpu speed won't matter as much as it does now.
            What do you want a signature for?

Comment

AMD's technical documantation explcitly warns that going above 1.85 Vcccore will shorten the life of the cpu. Many of us in the industry have found that 1.9 is the sweet spot. As I said before don't do it!

------------------
              Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
              Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
              CPUmark99 75
              FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have to agree with everything you have said.
                I couldn't get it to run stably at any lower voltage so I am now at 800MHz, 1.9V, 32-35C.

The reason I was chasing 900 so hard is that is what I have paid for. I paid cpu-overclockers.co.uk £240 for a 550 (750 core) @900 and a FKK50 cooler. As it turned out they only got a few 750 cores (as we all know) so they lent me a 500(650 core) @750, whilst we waited to see what turned up.
                They have eventually sent me a 700 (not sure what core) @900, and you know the rest of the story.

I guess I'm back to square one on the 900 front and it's time to complain again. I just want what I paid for. I can now buy a genuine 750 for less than I paid them.

Cheers, Tony.
                FT.

Comment

Working...
                X