Gurm-paulcs-Rags-Chucky Cheese, and all other Win2k DemiGods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had the exact same problem!!!

It was because i had defined a static size for the swapfile!

anmd another way to try to find out what is hapening would be to wait at least 5 min at the black screen with the flashing cursor.
    Reeboot and then check your system logs!

It's in admintools in controlpanel!

Thats how i foud out wats was causing my problem.

------------------
    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    256 MB RAM CAS2
    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

giskard,

before you do that see if you can run down the win2k resource kit(...i highly recommend it), on it there is a utiltiy called "rollback.exe"...this will roll back your registry to the original registry when you first successfully booted win2k.

just a couple of questions though...are you getting any "dhcp" events or "profile" alerts in event viewer? have you tried a clean install into another directory(..like winNT5..)? write down the bios setting for each boot directory if you have to..

in my bios, i have nothing assigned...everything is on auto, my acpi aware os yes/no flag is set yes. my system will not boot into an acpi configuration. it runs smooth with the standard multi-processor hal...my best guess is that this mobo is not fully acpi compliant. also in this configuration win2k gives me the followin irq table;

IRQ Number Device
      128 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead Max - English
      31 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
      48 Symbios 22910, 21002 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C896 Device
      49 Symbios 22910, 21002 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C896 Device
      60 Creative SB Live! (WDM)
      64 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
      1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
      4 Communications Port (COM1)
      6 Standard floppy disk controller
      8 System CMOS/real time clock
      13 Numeric data processor
      12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)

try limiting the size of your registry, i've seen NT hang on shutdown because it couldn't unload the registry, careful though because the registry "grows"...and remember to be logged on as administrator...good luck!!

chucky

Comment

Hi guys,
        I'm at work at the moment, so i can't try your suggestions straight away.

I do have a static swap file, so i'll change that and see if i get any joy. From memory, my registry is around 12 mb. Is that big, small or otherwise?

Im not getting any "dhcp" events or "profile" alerts in event viewer. In fact, there's been no real sooking and whinging in the event viewer at all.

I haven't done clean installs in different directories. I've always gone with the default directory. But it's always been on a freshly formatted partition.

Anyway, i'll give your suggestions a lash when i get home...

Comment

No joy. I'll have to try to run down this 'win2k resource kit' :-(

Giskard

Comment

Well email soyo tech support and ask them to email you the bios they have which works best with win2k. I did that with FIC and they sent me an undocumented bios which fixed almost all my problems.

------------------
            Win2k rocks!!! Now if only my chipset was not VIA !!!!!!!!
            Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

Also take a look at this ACPI site

hope this helps

http://members.xoom.com/Northcliffe/

------------------
              Win2k rocks!!! Now if only my chipset was not VIA !!!!!!!!
              Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

Thanks man, i'll check it out.

Cheers,
                Giskard.

Comment

I just did an ACPI Compatibility Test. This is what i got...

ACPI Hardware Compatibility Test
                  Version 1.61, Compiled Feb 24 2000

Test Started at 18:10 on 4MAY2000
                  Running on Windows2000 build 2195
                  Bios Date = 02/15/00

Warning: Couldn't find _PR0 for Fan Device \_TZ_.FAN_
                  Error: Devices \_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.UAR1, \_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.UAR2 _PRW's are sharing GPE bit 10, which does not have a method

NTLOG REPORT -------------------------------------------------------
                  Tests Total 741 | Variations Total 1
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tests Passed 740 99% | Variations Passed 740 99%
                  Tests Failed 1 0% | Variations Failed 1 0%

====================== End Summary Info =======================

Means nothing to me. Anyone able to shed some light?

Cheers,
                  Giskard.

Comment

Working...
                  X