Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD "Spitfire"=AMD Duron

Check out the press release here http://www.amd.com/news/prodpr/20092.html

No specs yet as for how large the on board L2 cashe is going to be or what speeds its going to running at. I think is goofy name though.

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

The name sounds in Russian like 'foolon' or 'moron'...
    I can predict low sales of the product here in this country...

------------------
    Computer Revolution makes it possible to substitute educated slaves for ignorant ones. (V.I.Arnold)

Comment

My name is Duron, Duron I tell you.

Why are you laughing?

-Starcraft

'Duron' is a variation on the Latin word 'durare' meaning 'to last'. Or at least that's what the press release says.

What I find funny is the fact that the L2 cache is the same size of the L1 cache. What they should have done, yields permitting, is made the Duron with 256 KB L2, the Athlon with 512 KB L2 and 1 MB+ for the Athlon Ultra. Then you'd see Intel really hurting.

Jammrock - Still waiting for his new Thunderbird

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Wow, thought you said Duran Duran there for a minute. (80's girly band)

Comment

Well, at least they didn't call it the AMD Tampon...

Comment

Good one RAGS!!! (Get it?!?) - DOH!

Guyv
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Yup crap name. Already got poeple going round saying Duron Duron. I can see it go into a pc shop and ask for a Duron. "Go across to the music shop over there son".
              Why didn't they keep to spitfire. It sounds good, sounds aggressive, sounds fast. Duron sounds like a cure for a headache or something.
              Whats the next AMD chip going to be called Puron?
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Eventually, all products will have crappy names like this, all the cool names will be legal property of some sauce company or something.

Comment

ROTFLMAO
                  Duron is AMD's Celeron. Stupid f'ed up name.
                  Wonder what they'll call Thunderbird.
                  Probably (fanfare) Athlon
                  LOL

Off to drinks rum
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Duron's pretty sweet though. It's apparently out-performing Athlons right now. It may be their Celeron, but it's got much better cache than its predecessor.
                    The 256kB of on-die cache is rumored to be 16-way set associative. Ooo, pretty.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

One guy wrote AMD a letter explaining they were about to lose the market in CIS. He got a quick response:

Thank you for drawing our attention to this matter. This seems to be a
                      common problem when firms launch products globally. I hope that this doesn't
                      damage your perception of AMD products!
                      I believe they hope vainly.
                      Computer Revolution makes it possible to substitute educated slaves for ignorant ones. (V.I.Arnold)

Comment

Here in the southeast U.S., Duron is a brand of house paint. Sorry, but I can't think of anything witty to say about that.

RAB
                        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
                        X