No announcement yet.

Philips Pronto Universal Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xortam It doesn't have the web community that the Pronto has but has it's own forum at "Remote Central". It's not as customizable as the Pronto but works fine for us (easy for the wife to use)

Congratulations Andy!!! better build another system.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Paul, what I was referring to by "web community" is ... is the remote programmable via a PC and is there a web site where one can download programming that individuals have developed? This, along with the charger and large memory, are what impressed me when I saw the Pronto. My old, current universals gobble up batteries and I'd rather not contribute more to the land-fills (actually I recycle them). Maybe current remotes are more efficient.

P.S. Andy, A day late and a dollar short. I called J&R and they're on back-order. They also quoted me $349.99. Funny how you'll read of people getting all sorts of different price quotes from the same business. I once got a quote (from another dealer) of $269, but they were out of stock each time (kinda makes the quote worthless). Of course, there's always Crazy Eddies but I want to go with an authorized dealer and a more reputable one. Stereoshop used to have them for $279.95 ... I'll have to track them down. Ya gotta be quick (or lucky) on these things.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 30 April 2000).]
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Andy, How's the Pronto working out? Any reboots yet? Done any custom screens yet? I finally located one and placed the order this morning ($285). Should take a week to get here but I've gotten used to waiting. I guess I can go ahead and download ProntoEdit and start my programming now though.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Whoops! Forgot the update...

The remote is working well. I've spent more time tweaking my setup than actually using the remote.

I'm having a hard time convincing my girlfriend to use it though - wait until she wants to watch a movie without me and see how long she fiddles with all the remotes! Sometimes you just gotta let 'em learn themselves.

The biggest hassle is lack of discrete on/off/input IR codes. I'm still looking for my cable box & TV.

I haven't had any reboot problems at all.

I love it!
          PIII 550@605
          IWill Motherboard VD133
          VIA Chipset
          512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
          G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
          DirectX 8.0a
          SB Live! Value
          8x DVD (Toshiba)
          6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
          Intel Pro/100+ NIC
          3Com CMX Cable Modem
          Optiquest V95 19"
          HP 812C Color Ink Jet
          Microtek flatbed scanner
          Intellimouse Explorer
          Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
          AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

I'm sure you'll be programming that baby for some time to come. You'll either get new devices or come up with new macros that you want to add. The lacking of discrete codes on some device functions does create quite a hassle. Once you have all of your devices programmed, you'll discover what macros you need, then you'll get around to creating some very easy to use screens that even a toddler can use. Obviously, the more effort you put into programming, the more powerful and easy to use your Pronto will become. I'm going to have to spend some time just getting the codes in because I have some more obscure equipment that I hear isn't on the web (Luxman, Kyocera, Fosgate). I currently use a long macro (something like 20 buttons) just to fire up the TV on my HT system.

Comment

One of the good things of starting a HT almost from scratch - most of my equipment is new. The oldest thing is my TV - a 40" Mitsu (1995).

My will power is running out waiting for HDTV to take hold - after seeing Genom's post (http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/hdtv/TN50X81.html )in the Soap Box - I'm struggling!

MUST....WAIT....TO...BUY......NEW.....TV
              PIII 550@605
              IWill Motherboard VD133
              VIA Chipset
              512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
              DirectX 8.0a
              SB Live! Value
              8x DVD (Toshiba)
              6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
              Intel Pro/100+ NIC
              3Com CMX Cable Modem
              Optiquest V95 19"
              HP 812C Color Ink Jet
              Microtek flatbed scanner
              Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Haven't seen Genom's comments. Where are they? I've had my HT system for 12 years, 10 years with a BUD (C/Ku Satellite). I need to update it with DD/DTS decoder (prologic/surround currently). I decided to hold off a little longer before getting the HDTV RPTV, digital Sat receiver (4DTV) and HDTV decoder.

I went over to my friends house last week to watch his new BUD HDTV setup on his 10 foot screen with Barco data-grade projector. Comparing a 1080i broadcast with progressive scan DVD (ATI Rage equipped PC) ... very close but HDTV was a bit better in detail, etc. You can see quite a difference in the clarity of text in closing credits. Nonetheless, PC-DVD holds up extremely well. I think if you look into RPTV burn-in issues, FPTV cost and lamp life, need for both satellite and terrestrial decoders, connectivity problems, and the ramp-up of content ... you might decide to hold off a while longer. HDTV is a big ball and takes some huge force to gain momentum. Some of us can remember the slow ramp-up of color TV.

Comment

I know what you mean about RP vs. FP. I've been following this for a while now. Until there's more content (we only have 2 HD stations in Chicago right now) and wider availability, I should be able to fight off the urge.

Genom's post is in the thread about Jordan going off-line due to his move.

In this (last?) month's Home Theater magazine, they show a 70k HT. WOW! I would love to go the projection route but I can't see buying the house to hold it here in Chicago... It's tough enough to find a place big enough for my 40" that's affordable - and I make good money...
                  PIII 550@605
                  IWill Motherboard VD133
                  VIA Chipset
                  512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                  DirectX 8.0a
                  SB Live! Value
                  8x DVD (Toshiba)
                  6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                  Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                  3Com CMX Cable Modem
                  Optiquest V95 19"
                  HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                  Microtek flatbed scanner
                  Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Andy, its here!!! Finally, after waiting for four months, I've got a Pronto to call my own. I can see I'm going to be logging in a bit of time to customize this baby. Let the fun begin ...

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 15 May 2000).]

Comment

My girlfriend is getting frustrated at the amount of time I spend on the remote - I'm guessing about 40 hours so far... There's always tweaking to do!

Enjoy!
                      PIII 550@605
                      IWill Motherboard VD133
                      VIA Chipset
                      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                      DirectX 8.0a
                      SB Live! Value
                      8x DVD (Toshiba)
                      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                      3Com CMX Cable Modem