Remote Admin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Admin

One of my random summer projects included putting together a machine from spare parts and hooking it up to my network. Its going to spend its time ripping my CD collection 24/7 in a closet, so I figured I might just forgo the mouse and monitor and remote admin the machine with BO2K or something, but (doh!) I dont have TCP/IP access for this machine. Does anyone know of a decent (free) remote admin tool that works over IPX protocol? Im trying to keep this as cheap and easy as possible.

------------------
    This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

I'm wondering, why don't you have TCP/IP access to this machine?

For a very good and free remote admin tool (requiring TCP/IP) check here:
    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

R.

------------------
    P3B-F/P3-700E/256MB
    G400Max/SBLive
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Comment

Thanks for mentioning it, but thats not what I need for this situation...

My network is currently configured for internet access via DSL. Giving this machine internet access with the current config would require me to purchase another IP address - a waste of money. TCP/IP is locked out because of the way the DSL line works. The DSL modem is connected directly into the main hub. All machines hooked up to my network see the DSL modem and automatically have TCP/IP services. The problem is, all TCP/IP packets are blocked for a machine until it logs on with the ISP's server. Hence the reason ICS also doesnt work - any machine configured as an ICS client automatically detects the TCP/IP connection and ignores it's ICS configuration.

I could rework this newtwork to accomodate this machine by setting up a proxy server for all the other machines, but it would be a lot of work for little gain. Plus, the other people using this network scream bloody-murder anytime I change something on it.

Given the popularity of Novell, im amazed there are no IPX-capable admin tools out there. Anyone out there got a solution?

------------------

Comment

PCAnywhere v8 from Symantec (norton) will run over serial link, infrared, TCP/IP, Banyan Vines and SPX (as in IPX/SPX) - Don't think this is the latest version, so the newer ones might even do more.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Try using NAT32. I have it and prefer it way more than icky ICS.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Heh, not as easy as I thought. pcAnywhere isnt exactly a budget program...

Guess ill just have to track down a cheapo monitor and mouse...

------------------

Comment

What about putting a second NIC in one of your computers, and using a client-client cable?

I think you could then have a little two-node TCP-IP network, and the computer with two NIC's would be able to distinguish between the two.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Or - add a USB -> 10BT connector to the ICS system, then use the NIC to connect to the hub. voila - IP address dishout using ICS (It does work very slick - and with a fast enough system, doesn't do too much lag). I use an old freebie Compaq (K6-2400) as my ICS server, with my main system sitting behind it.

Guyv
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Thaks for the suggestions...I have an extra 10bT card laying around, so ill just have to go out and get myself a crossover cable. Hopefully things will work then...

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X