Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The X-BOX by Microsoft... who wants one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on Win2K. That is the key. It may be based in it but it is not the same retail version.

Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Comment

I'll willing to reserve judgement, I haven't bought a console in years so I doubt I will start any time soon, but I am willing to see what it can do. I am just wondering how many service patches it will take before it's usable.

Comment

I've heard the OS will be anything from a completely new OS based off Direct X to a stripped down Windows ME/2k. Nobody knows.

Building the OS from the ground up based off Dirext X may be smart idea. The other OS's have been hosed, tweaked and patched to death (WinME is just an updated Win98). If M$ is smart they will just make a new, STABLE, OS and bassed off Direct X (something a lot of people progrm for anyway) and call it a day.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

SComp: AMD had good reason to feel hosed. MS tried to get AMD to drop the price to a real loss. AMD balked.
          It was a real shock to the people on the floor. Gates announced that there would be an Intel CPU in the box, even as the demo model that was running next to him had an Athlon inside.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Imagine, doing something like that.
            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
            Matrox P
            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
            LianLiPC70

Comment

I saw in a magazine a while back that after WinMe that Microsoft were dropping the current GUI style and moving to a task based interface - whatever that means!

I took it as being closer to a real desktop with a phone on it, a letter and other stuff - so that the user doesn't think "I need to use Microsoft Word to type this letter", they will instead think "I want to type a letter" - but does this mean that the OS will come with built in word processing, accounts software, etc? A full system from Microsoft - that'd cause problems for them from the DoJ!

A gaming system with an interface like that with a section for games showing off every game that has been installed from the net and possibly to the games from DVD would be easy to use for Joe Public I would think.

Paul.

Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

pace

something i cought on the news this morning.

seeams over in hong kong they are building this large new cyberland (computer high tech buissness park) and one of the companys who are planing to move in when its finished is MICROSOFT! yes just like i said they would do if the GOV messed with gates too much he would just jump ship and move his company overseas, so much for the doj (and more high tech american jobs. (could be worng but it is what i would do. and with the money he has it really wouldn't be that hard for him to do it and f*** over the GOV and DOJ

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 19 May 2000).]
                msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

But at least Microsoft have now given us the wheel!

Paul.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

This is a good one. M$ and Intel in bed together again. This time I think Intel has pulled a fast one on old Bill. Sure they will sell CPU's below cost - just as long as it uses RAMBUS for memory!! There is no way Intel will let Bill build it without the official Intel memory chips. Before this is all over, this box will cost $600 to make and sell for $199 at Best Buy. That will call for a lot of creative accounting to bury the losses for both companies.

RAB
                    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I laugh at the thought of seeing Microsoft service pack cartridges on the front of magazines!!!!
                      Not quite necessary Vic, as every game comes with this OS. Although, would it be cartridge? What of the DVD player in the X-Box? Games on DVD, hmmmm, there's a thought, and one would like to have more than the 64Mb RAM.

Although the hdd could double up as Virtual RAM as well. But what game would need 8.064Gb RAM?

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

that would be for the Holo-Deck option
                        jim
                        PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                        128mb pc-100 cas 2
                        Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                        Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                        SB Live!
                        Winblows 98se & DX7
                        and 384k DSL!

Comment

I can't see it being a winner. What people want is a PC or a console, not a half cocked attempt at being both.

I laugh at the thought of seeing Microsoft service pack cartridges on the front of magazines!!!!

Vic

Comment

I saw in a magazine a while back that after WinMe that Microsoft were dropping the current GUI style and moving to a task based interface - whatever that means!
                            Well, it's about time. There has been no UI improvements after Windows 95. And Windows 95 model was old when released in 1995; all the gizmos for example date back to Xerox Alto in the 70's!

Just how much usable those little arrow buttons at both ends of scroll bar would be if they were placed next to each other? But noo.. if it was good enough for the first windows-based GUI in the world, it's good enough for Microsoft.

:
                            B

Comment

I was interested in the XBox... but now I think I want this instead...!

Heck, if I got an X-Box, I'd only disassemble it for the CPU anyway....

--------------------------
                              Holly

Comment

Two things:

First, the Task Orientated OS is nothing new. Does anyone remember Microsoft BOB, oh yea.

And, MS can sell the xbox at loss and still rake it in. The money is not made in the console it is made in the sales of addons and software to run on it.

JP
                                Workstation Specs:
                                Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

Working...
                                X