can i network through firewire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i network through firewire?

My friend lent me his sony vaio pcg-c1x to try out and i'm wondering if i can network through firewire?I have fw on both pc's and when i plug them together,both machines plug&play and detect,ask for new drivers for microsoft 1394 pc.windows cd doesn't seem to have it..
    maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree to hook these together,not too knowlegeable about networking.
    thanks,gobrob

You will probably have to use a direct cable connection. Go to Start|Programs|Accessories|Communications|Direct Cable Connection. If its not there, you will have to install it from the Windows CD since its not a standard install item if I remember correctly.

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

well,that was a good try,but only allows connection for serial and parallel cable.This laptop only has firewire,usb,and modemcard.
      btw,i'm running win98se on both systems
      gobrob

Comment

I happen to have one of those notebooks all though it's called a C1XD in the UK. The only uses for the iLink, (Sony's name for Firewire), are connecting a DV Camcorder and transfering images using the installed software or attaching a Freecom CD-ROM or CD/RW using their iLink cable. If you want to network this machine either use a PCMCIA card as I do or use a USB network adaptor.

They are pretty cool notebooks and I have even got Win2k running on mine
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

There is a direct connect kit for USB, but nore for firewire that I've been able to locate.

The direct connect is not a high-speed network, but it is a network - as it does allow a lot of the network functionality (file transfers, multi-player gaming, print-sharing, etc.)

Product ID - Belkin F5U104, Price Aprox. $56 total, 2 cables, bridge device, software. Acts like a small network.

Guyver
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

thanks fellows,the notebook does have a network card installed,but no cable,i happened to have a firewire cable,so i thought i would try it...
            i'll pick up a cable for it and give it a whirl,just thought the firewire might be faster anyway
            gobrob
            taz,with the win2k install,does everything work,like the camera?did you have to get any third party drivers?

Comment

The only uses for the iLink, (Sony's name for Firewire), are connecting a DV Camcorder and transfering images
              First of all, "i.Link" is Sony's name for IEEE 1394. "FireWire" is Apple's name for IEEE 1394.
              While the connecting technology is becoming obsolete, those marketing names are used (especially in Sony's case) to describe what is it used for, rather than describing what the jack is called. After all, functinonality is what matters.

Second, you can do many wonderful things with i.Link in near future. Sony has already put out their LISSA Hi-Fi systems in Europe, that consist of CD players, MD players,.. that have only i.Link connector at back of them. That is, only the amp has D/A chip in it.
              Near future this will come to Sony TVs, VCRs and DVD players equipped with i.Link. Then you can route the DVD playback from one player to every TV in the house for example. Sony has introduced fiber devices for this used for "long distance" connections between rooms.

Third, I'm not working for Sony.

:
              B

Comment

Buuri,

I know that Firewire is just a marketing term for IEEE 1394 but most people seem to know it as that hence my comment. I was specifically talking about the use of the iLink port on the Sony PCG-C1XD notebook.

Gobrob,

Everything works under Win2k except the camera, Sony have not released a driver for that yet. All the other drivers are downloadable from Sony's site although the ones on the European site seem different from those on the US one.
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Apple have a strang way to make firewire work for networking. One unit becomes a harddrive for other unit. Must be rebooted to be a computer again. Guess it's one way to make the most expencive harddrive (entire notebook= expencive harddrive ).

Mark F.

------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                  X