No announcement yet.

Soon I will rule the world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had nothing but Maxtors since my first 1.08GB IDE drive. Since then I've had 2 7GB-ers and now a pair of 20GB drives.

The fact that they are a little cheaper does show a bit, but none has ever failed on me, despite some hard treatment (like throwing one--with all my data on and no backup-- in my csrryon luggage and taking it on the 7 hour flight to Holland ).

All my problems with any drives by them has been due to either software (like Norton Utilities, which ate a drive, partition by partition), or Windows/hardwarew conflicts (moving a drive into a new PC with Windows already installed). You might say that that is a failure of the drive in some way, and maybe you'd be right, which is why I say that the cost savings shows a little, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand... I would just say try to treat Maxtor drives with care.

WD drives, on the other hand-- well, they seem fine if they work at all, but I've seen them fail almost right out of the box in a way that makes me very wary of the brand... to such an extent that even reformatting didn't make the drive operate properly. They do have good Customer Service, though, and lots of rebates and all...

I tend to think that Fujitsu drives, being even cheaper than Maxtor, are to be avoided, but I have no experience to speak of, and I've heard nothing but good things about Quantum and IBM drives, but again have no personal experience with either brand.

Good luck.

But you should know that you may not rule the world (sorry ), since I'm taking that spot as soon as I wrest it from Bill Gates' cold, dead, hands .

What I don't have already, that is .

---------------------------
    Holly

Comment

Maxtor Maxtor Maxtor, cheap and good, now fast as well. IBM excellent drives, just a little more expensive. All 7200 rpm drives need to be adequately cooled. WD just say no, although tech support is good, I've had too many fail on me. Fujitsu I do not like, although I haven't used their >2GB drives (that's because at that time I had too many problems with them). Quantum, very fast but have had problems with the 4.3 Fireball and haven't trusted them since. Seagate, slow but reliable and pretty cheap.

That's my experience others will differ
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
      X