Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD Region Codes---What's the fuss? Someone fill me in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Region Codes---What's the fuss? Someone fill me in...

New to the DVD stuff, so forgive me if I ask the obvious (it obviously isn't obvious to me).

Maybe this is an issue for those over in Europe or in a different region than the US, but for those of us here in the US, exactly what is there to gain by downloading a region hack? It seems to be such a major issue and such a majorly desired hack that is seems I may be missing something...

In addition, after reading countless posts concerning the software player supplied by Matrox, seems that the player decoder is pretty outdated. Seems strange, since I just bought my Max less than two months ago. I can't find an update on Matrox's site, although I can find updates to newer decoders for the Ravensent stuff all over the web. Why doesn't Matrox make this stuff easily available (I did have to search for quite a while...)

Lastly, there is a version of the decoder (1.0.28) that supposedly disables Macrovision. Since I consider Macrovision almost as evil as Bill Gates, was wondering if anyone has tried this decoder with the Matrox player. Seems to me the version number is awfully old, and I tire of blue screens after fixing computers all day for a living.

Any info will be assimilated and put to good use...Thks...

I assume that it affects people outside of the US more than those inside. There is a plethora of DVD's issued for Region 1 (US). A much smaller number of movies has been released for other regions, and from what I understand they also don't necessarily have all the features of their Region 1 counterparts.

This is where it is nice for someone in another country to buy Region 1 DVDs and be able to play them. However it's also nice to be able to play DVDs from your own region. However DVD software etc is usually set up to play from only 1 region....naturally this is not acceptable to the average joe.

I don't think it has to do with legitimacy. It has to do with the movie industry trying to control what the consumer can consume. The consumer, for obvious reasons, does not feel this is correct and uses a hack to remedy the problem.

I also don't think it's used much to prevent piracy, although I'm not sure on that. But I don't see why someone can't just buy a Region 1 DVD and, with the right stuff, make illegal copies of it. I don't see why any other region would make a difference.

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

I can think of a couple of reasons.

1. Many times people inadvertantly region lock their DVD players (hardware). You may want to defeat this if you get a foreign DVD as a gift or if you locked it with the wrong region in force.

2. Software (and hardware) players may only allow a certain number of region changes. If you are a klutz during installation, have the DVD player install the wrong initial region, or have a DVD from another region, then the number of allowed region changes is limiting. You have to be able to install the software more than a couple of times. Some versions of DVD software load the wrong region by default upon installation of the software. Load this software three times, and you are no longer able to use it. It will be fixed upon installation at the wrong region.

Comment

Well.. a lot of it has to deal with people "Fightin' the Man!" and they think they are rebellious by doing it or they gain some never-to-be-used advantage.

But, there are a VERY FEW reasons why to do it if you are U.S. based. Every once in awhile, due to stupid ass marketing crap, the film co's will release a movie to someplace like England with extra or better features. I think Citizine Kane is one like that.

Also, some of the film co's have trouble with getting the rights to release a certain movie in a certain region and we may not get it till much much later. Or, someone else in another Region may not get it till much much later. Total pain in the ass sometimes.
        Abit BX6 Rev.1
        Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
        192 meg RAM, CAS2
        13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
        6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
        HP8110i 4x2x24
        Pioneer DVD-104
        SB Live! 1024
        USB ZIP 100
        G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
        Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
        YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

If you are U.S. in fact Region codes mean little, as most releases are out here first...or is that a remarkably self-centered statement.

Brian R. has the best reason for an American to bone up on this MPAA headache. Installation screwups have caused many, many problems, and Matrox has been the unwitting cause of some (many) of them. Several driver versions caused their DVD hardware decoder to decrement one change per installation, and the module only allowed for three before it locked.

Bottom line, though, if you get the software installed correctly, and you aren't into piracy, or "trading" copies with European or Asian friends, it probably won't be an issue.

The Biggest reason this was implemented was to prevent legitimate Asian copies of DVD's from being manufactured and sent back to the U.S.
          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Wow! Locked! This seems to be a serious issue for those of us who change our oprerating system like we change our socks...

As long as there is a hack...but sounds like the Region idea sucks serious *insert appropriate disparaging remark here*.

OK...onto evil #2..how do I kill Macrovision...or is the >Display Properties< trick the only way..

Comment

try DVD Utils. They have some software that could help you out.
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Echo:

The full version of Ravisent Cinemaster 2000 is the software player for you. It is widely available for "evaluation" on the 'net. I'm running it now, and it is fully compatible with your card and Matrox's drivers.

When the Matrox version is finally released it will only be a stripped down version of C-2000 anyway, so why not go all the way.

E-mail me if you need a link.
                Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Working...
                X