Me thinks Microshaft ain't got this quite right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me thinks Microshaft ain't got this quite right

Well you can say that about a lot of things microshaft.
    Internet connect sharing yep it works however under win2k (I haven't tried win98) if you get the host computer to dial out from another machine the machine requesting the connection gets assigned the isps ip address. Fine okay however once the connection is closed it retains the ip address and if you reboot the network you can't gain access to any of the shares or mapped drives because the computer thinks it's on another network.
    If you use the host computer everything is fine. A little inconsistant me thinks and could play hell with a larger network.

[This message has been edited by The PIT (edited 13 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by The PIT (edited 13 July 2000).]
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

"We you can that about a lot of things microshaft."

I've been drinking a lot tonight, so if this makes sense to other poeple, let me know and I'll check in the morning to make sure Otherwise, I think it makes no sense We shall see

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Nine you sharing loads make form. WinRoute we wallproxy.
      P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Always you and can that make believe or another realm is darkening sure.
        P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
        Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Don't worry, The PIT - I get ya (must be an english thing!) (But I can't help!)

I have a pathetic little 166+ with 48Mb PC just running win2k with a modem in it. This has its connection set to shared. Any PC that now connects to the network gets its ip addy from this win2k PC - whether it's connected to the net or not.

As long as the connection's set to shared, then that win2k PC will act as a DHCP server to the rest of the network. It works fine for me! And dials up when needed.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

i use a dsl router connected to my net gear rack mounted 10/100 8 port switch conected to the 3 comps on my home network.
            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Are any of you speaking english?!? About half the posts didn't make a bit of sense. Maybe I have a case of bad dyslexia or something.
              PIII 550@605
              IWill Motherboard VD133
              VIA Chipset
              512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
              G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
              DirectX 8.0a
              SB Live! Value
              8x DVD (Toshiba)
              6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
              Intel Pro/100+ NIC
              3Com CMX Cable Modem
              Optiquest V95 19"
              HP 812C Color Ink Jet
              Microtek flatbed scanner
              Intellimouse Explorer
              Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
              AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Nope, this is a strange one alright... I think someone has been using babblefish.

Jeff

------------------
                Remember when naps were a bad thing?

-------------------------------
                You stop learning when you are die, and some people just don't know the're dead yet!
                -------------------------------
                ABIT BP6 - 2 x Celeron 500 - 256MB Ram - MX300 - 3Com 509c - 3com 905tx - Creative PC DVD 6x - G400 DH - DSL (True Love Here) - Win98 se - Win 2000 pro

-We stop learning when We die, and some
                people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Microshaft=Microsoft.

ISP=Internet Sevice provider.

Internet connection sharing. A way off using one modem to share between several machines on a local network.

SteveC when I use another machine to download from the web it's just picking up the ISP's ip address and retaining it. It does this (as I just found out) whether I dial directly from the host or indirectly by asking for a connection i.e by clicking on windows update. The host machine keeps the correct specified address for the network card all the time. I've just checked the host and it's address is static (For the network card) which explains that. Doh! I should have checked.
                  I've just now specified a static ip address for the other machine which should fix it I hope.
                  The funny thing is when I first tried it everything was fine.
                  Just tried it and nope it doesn't work with a fixed ip address. Shit whats happening.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Andy, I think they were making fun of Helevitia's stupor.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Bollocks can't do it statically so I'm back to dynamic and the strange thing is it's using the correct ip address.
                      I've got a theory though, since the host is not the first machine booted up the 2nd machine cannot get an ip address of it so somehow it's using the last IP address issued by my ISP.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If you ever have a micro$loth related question, go to the following URL...
                        http://geraldholmes.freeyellow.com/index.html

He seems to know *HEAPS* about micro$loth

Cheers,

Giskard.

Comment

I did have someone talking to me when I was orginally typing it then I had to start work.

Also Microshaft also allow there dialup networking to send it's packets down networking cable. This is without any internet connection sharing just a pc with a modem and network connection. A bit naff that really.

Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The guy behind giskard's link is pretty wacky. He also has a way with the language of Shakespeare:

"This page is for Micorsoft and all those who like to use windows and Micorsoft stuff. It isnt for anyone else. If you are a linus user you cannot use this webpage same goes for apples In fact I prohibit it and you will get in trouble ...

"If you like linus os you must not read any more of this pages and go away to some other site right now. If you believe Micorsoft is really really really good then you can read my pages. Otherwise go away now or my lawyers will get in touch with you and Ill sue your pants off. By reading this you agree and I can make you do it too. If you dont agree with thise GH-EULA then you must leave now and say "I dont remember Geralds pages anymore" three times out loud. That is the only way I wont see you in court."

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

oh boy ! i can't beleave i read tham pages, its a good thing im not a long hairs, or a linus user cuase i b in big trubbles oh boy!

(i pray to god that this guy is not serius, becuase if he is he needs some help real bad.)
                              msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                              it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X