No announcement yet.

Collisions Galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dvd runs fine over 100mbit? Cool.. didn't expect that..

But about collisions: Like Helevitia said: If your performance is okay, don't worry about it, it's normal (as long as the little alarm light doesn't come on)

If you think performance isn't as good as it should be, you could try replacing the cables (faulty cables can cause excessive collsions) or check that al your 100mbit cards are running on half duplex. Full duplex is only for point to point connections (switches). There is no collision detection in full duplex so this again could cause excessive collsions...

grtz & sorry for any bad english,
    Ed

[This message has been edited by EdSki (edited 19 July 2000).]

Comment

Thanks Hele, I already knew most of the ins and outs of CSMA/CD. I just thought it odd that the hub isn't being over subscribed (only 5% utilised). Even just copying small stuff across causes collisons when just two PCs are turned on.

Jeff - I need the hub as I have 4 PCs + 1 laptop at home networked

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Checked over some of my cabling last night and noticed that one length has a section where it has been completely mangled. (I haven't got round to ripping the floorboards up AGAIN for a new bit of cable I put down and so went round a door frame - the door has been rubbing against it and stripped off some of the plastic coating... D'oh!) So this might be the cause!

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

SteveC, you very possibly have found the problem. Let us know if the new cable fixes your excessive collisions. I know that if a coax cable is "scrunched" (from being stepped on or whatever) it can be damaged in such a way that it will generate reflections: This would surely show up as a high collision rate.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
          X