SCSI woes resolved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI woes resolved!

Well, I replaced the SCSI card (2940UW) with a new 29160 (many of you may recall my woes began with my Plextor SCSI burner and my external chain!) and the first thing it told me was...

TOO MUCH TERMINATION ON SE CHAIN.

Oops! The Plextor was double terminated. Pain in the ass. Ok, fixed that. Same error. Ok, the DVD drive was also terminated. Funny - they both worked. What gremlin did that? Ok, undid that as well.

Boots fine.

Now I wired up the external chain (HD68->HD50active, then HD50->Cent50, then Cent50->DB25 cable into the Zip, then DB25->DB25 from zip to scanner, then Cent50 active diagnostic terminator on the scanner).

And it... JUST WORKED.

I have sacrificed the virgin and all is now well with the gods of the SCSI chain.

Now wish me luck as I hook up a pair of IBM 18GB 10k RPM U160 drives!

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

I'm not sure what you mean by stating the device was double terminated? Do you mean that you had termination resistors in place on the device and the SCSI cable continued onto a cable terminator? If that was the case, the extra cable will act as an antenna and introduce noise onto the bus. Did you retry the 2940UW after you corrected your termination? Any rate, glad you're able to move forward.

P.S. Nice feature of your new controller to detect the termination problems.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 09 August 2000).]
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
    X