No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade to windows 2000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just installed Win2k pro 2 days ago ..I didn't expect this performance .. working great here on a celeron 300A@450 and 128 RAM.
    better than win98 .. maybee same speed ..My Computer opens as fast as 95 and NT.
    I think it's faster than NT 4.0 with better support of course.
    As Raptor^ said; slower boot time .. but not as slow as NT 4.
    besides i didn't tweak it yet and didn't get rid of all the extras.
    Pace : to force ACPI install is it F6 ? or F3 ??
    I always thought Win95 OSR2 to be the best OS Microsoft ever made .. fast .. stable .. reliable ... i think win2k would change that ..
    I think you should upgrade
    What do u guys mean by memory leak ?? and how do u know u have it ??

PS: I forget to mention ACPI works well for me, it never worked the way it should in Win98.
    I like alot that hibernate feature, it's fast and reliable and better than shutdown.(faster )
    Win2k supports suspend to disk (complete shutdown), as opposed to win98 which only supported suspend to ram, and to suspend to disk u had to use the AWARD bios S/w which was slow.

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 09 August 2000).]
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Hmm, it's one of them anyway! Could even be F5. You press a key for special drivers and it's the one next to it I think. I'll have a check anyway.

Paul.

--
      <font size="-2"><a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.mccarroll/hosted/arena">The Pace3000 Arena</a></font>
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

It's F5.
        P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
        Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I've been running Win2k with 128 MB of RAM for quite a while. Works fine for me, although I would like another stick to make it 256 MB.

As far as burning goes, I've got a Sony CDU-948S/C 4/8 burner and run CDRWIN. Haven't had a single problem with it really, haven't had any issues with disappearing drives or anything. I've also got an NEC 16X SCSI and Toshiba SDM-1201 SCSI DVD drive hooked up, and 2 SCSI HD's, all connected to my Adaptec 2940UW controller.

I use Adaptec's ASPI layer for Win2k, not sure which ver though.

Dunno what to say about disappearing drives....have you check the KB for it? I might when I get the chance to....

b
          Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

WIn2k with 256MB RAM runs really nice...

biggest improvemenst are made however by implementing lots of the tweaks found on www.arstechnica.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I would upgrade to windows 2000 after all, but befor I do, I want a check list of hardware I have and drivers avilable.

Asus P3B-F:
              Would I Have Problems running a BX chipset mainbarod with full ACPI support under Win2K? Including Suspend to ram, etc...

Matrox G400:
              No Problem here, there are Win2K Drivers....

SBlaster Live!
              Well, I know there is s Liveware Package for Windows 2K, but are there any missing features?

HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
              This is a Specail Edition CD-BURNER, it has both an EIDE Connetor and a SCSI Connector. now, it's connected as SCSI, however I really don't mind running it on EIDE. I would check to find if there are any drivers for this burner.

AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD:
              Does Win2K Has problems with DVD Drives? beside the WinNT ready WinDVD, would I be able to use Cinemaster as a DVD Player? are there trade off's in image quality or preformance between Win2K and Win9X?

3Com NIc @ Tevel/3Com Cable Modem
              Should not have problems finding a Win2K Driver for this.

Pine Group ESS Based 56K SoftModem:
              This is very important to me, as some times I NEED to connect using a Dial Up to the internet. I wonder, are there Generic drivers for 56K SoftModems? will I be able to use anything to get this piece of hardware to work?

3Com Palm IIIx:
              I think there is a Win2K Version of the Palm Desktop software,

HP Deskjet 720C:
              I will search for Win2K Drivers for this, do you know if HP Releases Win2K Drivers for thier printers?

Umax 1220 Scanner:
              What about This scanner? not new, but working very well... are there Win2K Drivers?

anyway, I thank you for your input.

[edit] I have found drivers for my CD Writer, however, it's a Win NT4 driver, is it compatible with Windows 2K?

------------------

"Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven..."
              __________________________________________________ ____
              Worstation Specs:
              Asus P3B-F w/Celeron@680mhz
              160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
              Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
              IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
              Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
              SBlaster Live! Digital.
              17" Mag InnoVision 770Ti TrinitronFR Monitor @1152X864
              Logitech MouseMan Wheel USB (on Everglide Giganta SE)
              Focus 127keys MM Keyboard.
              HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
              AOpen X48 CD ROM.
              AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD
              Modded case, the "banshee". 6 fans.
              3Com Palm IIIx + GoType + AxxPAC

[This message has been edited by DataOrb (edited 09 August 2000).]
              Worstation Specs:
              160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
              Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
              IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
              Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
              SBlaster Live! Digital.
              HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
              AOpen X48 CD ROM.
              AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD

Comment

Pace and Sisyfos : is there a list for all the setup keys ? F?
                if yes .. where ?
                thanx

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

As far as I know, the F5 option is undocumented (by Microsoft).
                  Other than that I only know of F6.
                  P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                  Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

DataOrb:

whatever you do, DON'T INSTALL THE LIVEWARE DRIVERS!

They are a piece of CRAP! the default drivers work fine, however no 4 speaker output and EAX, but unless you REALLY need those, don't install Liveware 3 stuff... Creative is really REALLY _REALLY_ incompetent regarding writing GOOD win2k drivers.

I even blew up one SBLive! Player not long after I installed LW3 for Win2k. Don't ask me how this is possible, but in the Creative newsgroup there were 2 other persons who also blew up EXACTLY THE SAME CHANNEL as I did, also after installing Win2k Liveware 3...

3Com Nics already are fully supported by win2k, and otherwise they can be downloaded from www.3com.com . For you motherboard: flash to the latest BIOS version, and you might need to force ACPI install if you want to (press and hold F5 when WIn2k setup says "Press F6 to load SCSI driver...".

The G400 has good drivers for Win2k (good stability on Uniprocessor systems), but still has some bugs in it regarding visual corruption and stuff (check my homepage).

SCSI burner: do you need drivers for a SCSI burner? I don't! (Plextor PlexWriter PX-r412c)

I also don't think you need drivers for the Scanner, modem and the printer

Comment

Lucid, PCAnywhere v9.0 works fine under Win2k as long as you download the appropriate patch from Symantec's website and follow the instructions
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

You are right, I don't need drivers, but the Burning software needs to be Win2000 Compatible. and however, mine is WinNT4 Only Compatible.
                        Will WinNT4 Software run on Windows 2000?

------------------

Worstation Specs:
                        160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
                        Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
                        IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
                        Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
                        SBlaster Live! Digital.
                        HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
                        AOpen X48 CD ROM.
                        AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD
                        Worstation Specs:
                        160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
                        Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
                        IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
                        Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
                        SBlaster Live! Digital.
                        HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
                        AOpen X48 CD ROM.
                        AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD

Comment

use Nero Burning ROM version 4.0.9.1 or higher... that is fully WIn2k ACPI compliant (I strongly advice you to buy it, since it has a kind of copy protection you WON'T like ;-)

Comment

For burning software, I use CDRWIN and it works great. I've tried Adaptec Easy CD Creator and it screwed the pooch every time I tried burning....

Most NT4 software works fine in Win2k, however I would not recommend it for something such as burning. I wouldn't use any NT4 software that must talk as directly as possible with your hardware, such as audio drivers, burning software, DVD software, TV tuner software, and any other drivers.

Stick with the Win2k stuff for Win2k. Don't know about Cinemaster for DVD. I use WinDVD v1.3.5 or something or other, it's not WinDVD 2000, which also works in Win2k. The older version I've got is smaller (no skins) and seems to use a couple % less on the CPU (NOTE: this was not a scientific test and is just how I feel, I can not back it up with raw data). PowerDVD also works in Win2k and plenty of people here swear by it as well.

b
                            Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Taz: thanks..

About DVD players.. I first tried Cinemaster 2000 which was ok until it started crashing for some reason. WinDVD 2000 is good.

------------------
                              AMD Athlon 600 MHz, MSI K7 Pro, 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, G400 32 MB DualHead, SB Live! Platinum, FastTrak66, 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax (total 40 GB), Toshiba SD-M1212, etc..
                              There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
                              X