No announcement yet.

Internet Access - Ideas NEEDED, PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Access - Ideas NEEDED, PLEASE!

Folks,

I have moved to northeastern Pennsylvania. However, the rental market in the area is particularly horrible and we were forced to take a "less than optimal" duplex until such time as our mortgage goes through (which is of course dependent on me getting a new job, which hasn't happened yet... d'oh!).

At any rate, I'm stuck here at least until Christmas. RCN and the local company both offer cable modems, but only one-way. ADSL is just not available on my street.

I've put in an order for a one-way modem, which involves upload speeds of 33.6k (it uses a second phone line). What I need are IDEAS about other alternatives that I haven't considered. I'd be willing to pay a reasonably large amount (even $100/mo.) but of course I can't afford running a T1 to my apartment!

I looked into Satellite, which was similar to one-way cable. Similar speeds (400-500k) down, but the satellite uses a weird wrapper system which of course makes half of the programs I use all FUBAR. Two-way satellite looks promising but isn't available until next year.

What are my other options? Anybody? *sigh*

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Well I have no better alternative for you. But, I had a one-way cable setup for a long time. Much better than ISDN, and it will go two way eventually. Just not that great for games .

Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie
    Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the affirmation! I was worried that it would work like the satellite and kinda suck. It's good to know it's ok, even though it costs me an extra $13/mo. for the second phone line. Grr...

Well, I ordered it anyway - RCN's package is pretty good. Their digital cable is neat.

*sigh* Well, when we pick out our house it will be in a neighborhood with DSL, that much I guarantee!

- Gurm

------------------
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

only thing with 1 way cable modem well not the only thing but make sure you get an external and sharing a 1 way cable modem so your lan can all use it can be a pain. i had a 1 way with medianone for a while. the only network sharing software (non proxy cause proxies are gay) i could to work was nat1000 runnin gon win nt 4. my speeds with the 1 way cable modem was ok, but i ended up dumping it for 256k dsl, and then i dumped the dsl for 2 way cable modem. the cable modem has much faster download speeds for me than the 256 dsl could ever dream of.

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna have to run NAT. Prolly just the ICS in Win2k for the time being, since all my wife really does online is websurfing and e-mail and napster (NAPSTER... BAAAADDD!)

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Up here in canada we have a company called Look that offers one way microwave internet (1.5Mb/s), but it still uses dial-up for upload. They're trying to get additional RF spectrum so they can provide two way service, but they haven't got it yet. I don't know if there's anything like that in your area, but it's another thing to look for...

--
            Andrew
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
            X