Ok, dumb hard drive question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, dumb hard drive question..

I'll finish physically installing all the parts to my new system today, and am unsure how best to set up the hard drives.

I'll need to run my 2.1G Maxtor until I get all my current files and such off it that I need. This drive is not UDMA, much less 33 or 66, so I'm presuming it can't go on the same cable as my new IBM 75GXP. Which leaves the secondary channel, where I have my Kenwood 42X CD. Are there any problems running the old hard drive as a slave to the CD?

I guess I don't really need either the CD or old hard drive on the system at the same time, CD I just need to install drivers and such when configuring the system and I have nothing on the old drive that I need to setup the new system. Hmm.

I hate to throw away good parts, but I'm guessing running the CD (which is UDMA) and the old hard drive on the same channel is going to slow things down, right?

Can't wait to get home and install my G400 and hard drive, everything else is set up!
    Already confirmed delivery with UPS, is it 4:00 yet?!?

Aaron

You should be able to run the old hard drive as a slave device on either chain. The question is, is 2.1gb worth the hassle of switching back and forth between the CD and old drive or the performance loss of having them on at the same time. Personally, I would be inclined to say no. Just copy the files you need off of the 2.1 and keep it around as a spare part.

The only other option would be to put the CDROM and IBM drive both on the Primary controller. The CDROM is probably UDMA33 compliant, so while you would lose some of the performance potential of the IBM HD, it wouldn't be anywhere near the loss that haveing the 2.1 in there somewhere would cause.

To sum it up, 2.1gb is not worth it(IMHO), and if you do put attach it to either device, then yes, it will slow it down, and it will actually be noticable.

Ian

Can't wait to get home and install my G400 and hard drive, everything else is set up!

Heh, I know the feeling, I've been there many a time.
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Working...
    X