No announcement yet.

Inte recalls 1.13 GHz P3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a slotA 700 T-bird and a FIC SD11 (AMD 751 north bridge, VIA south bridge) wouldn't have been a bad choice ?

Comment

The problem is not so much VIA as it is the crappy motherboard manufactures. I know quite a few ppl with Asus and Abit boards that are having no problems. Whereas on the otherhand FICs seem to be plagued with nothing but problems. The Asus A7V that I have now is the third VIA board that I have and I have never had any problems related to the VIA chipset on any of the three.

As for the Slot vs Socket situation it has been found by AMD, as well as Intel, that the slot design just can't handle the higher MHz that each wants to move to in their CPU designs.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

i have to agree with Joel,
        Having used 3 different boards with Via chipsets had no problems or problems that couldn't be dealt with,I should say.
        Like Joel I'm using the Asus A7V board and due to it's stablity,quality and versatility,one can come to the following conclusions:
        1)Yes,the motherboard manufacturer plays a big hand in design and stability.

2)The Via chipsets have reached a level of maturity to rival Intel.

It's interesting to note that as Intel was recalling it's 1.13gig cpus,AMD was announcing the release of their 1.1 gig cpu!

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 30 August 2000).]

Comment

You can get 900 MHz Slot A TBirds. You'll probably have problems booting on a KX-133 based motherboard, but there's always that nice MSI K7-Pro AMD 750 board.

I've had some good experiences with VIA based boards lately. I think the Asus P3V4X has matured into a very nice board, and I think Abit's KA7-100 is a great board. I think VIA found itself in the cat seat after Intel's botched attempt at world domination with Rambus. They appear to be rising to the occasion. There are some great Athlon boards out there.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 30 August 2000).]

Comment

did anyone catch what the deal was with that P4 that intel supposedly had running at 2GHz (and was it 2.5GHz too?) ? I read that it was air cooled, something I find kinda hard to believe, but what the hey...

I can't bag intel completely at the moment, my 700 o/c's rather nicely all things considered

------------------
            PIII 700@1008 - ABit BF6/HotRod (SH) - 192MB PC133 - 3D Blaster GeForce (140/190) - 12 MB Voodoo2 - SBLive! Value - ViewSonic PS775 - 8.4GB Fireball CR - 30.7GB Fireball LCT - Pioneer 10x DVD - Windows Me - Detonator 6.18
            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
            X