Athlon Overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon Overclocking

i purchased an athlon 750 earlier in the summer and was satisfied with the performance. now i feel that counterstrike gets a little sluggish and i cant stand it. i dont want to upgrade my video card, i like the image quality of the g400 too. im just wondering how hot the cpu should get. im using cpu cool to tell me how hot it is. at 750mhz, it stays at 33 degrees. i currently clocked it to 787mhz (i changed the fsb to 105) and it is now at 35 degrees. also, what should be a safe fsb to set the athlon at that has an average heatsink and fan?

oh yea, i heard that mgatweak doesnt work with pd6.x. why is that? seems to run fine for me...

------------------
    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
    Asus K7V Motherboard
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
    20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
    30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
    ATAPI 40X max Generic CD-ROM
    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
    SB Live Value
    Matrox Millenium G400 32MB @ 147/196
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
    3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
    Windows 98 SE
    6.01 G400 Drivers
    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
    Asus K7V Motherboard
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Generic DVD-ROM
    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
    SB Live Value
    Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
    Windows ME
    6.20 G400 Drivers

TDH, that's a normal temp increase. If you attempt to OC via the FSB then your upper limit will be no more than 110mHz if your lucky. With a GFD, and excellent cooling you could possibly hit 1gHz with it.

MGAtweak works fine with PD6.x, that's just a rumour of late.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Do you think it'd be safe to change my FSB to 120mhz or even more? How does <a href=http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=419992509>this</a> fan look? It looks cool, but im not sure about the specs. (sorry couldnt find the website for it so i just looked on ebay).

[This message has been edited by TheDarkHorizon (edited 29 August 2000).]
      AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
      Asus K7V Motherboard
      384MB PC-100 SDRAM
      Generic DVD-ROM
      IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
      SB Live Value
      Windows ME
      6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

I'd suggest a GlobalWin VOS32 or an Alpha to cool it. the GORB (ack!) would never do.
        Also the problem is with your MB... none of them will do more than 110mHz at best.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

i was recommended to get <a href=http://www.outsideloop.com/afterburner.htm>this</a> card to overclock my athlon.. anyone have any experience with this?
          AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
          Asus K7V Motherboard
          384MB PC-100 SDRAM
          Generic DVD-ROM
          IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
          SB Live Value
          Windows ME
          6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

I currently use a golden orb fan just like the one you had the picture of. The processor temp is just a few degrees over ambient temperature, but I haven't overclocked my processor (yet..) .
            I've heard good things about the afterburner gfd device, but I've made my own (from schematics on tom's hardware page). I've not tested it yet, I'm waiting for my new case (5*5" bays) and I'm gonna rig it with watercooling and then I'll go for some serious overclocking ! My watercooling is also homemade... Why? Money, I won't allow it to cost too much (could just as well buy a faster processor then...).
            I'll publish my project on my homepage when I've got all the parts and have 'em installed.
            But remember when you overclock, you'll need some serious cooling!

------------------
            My system:
            • Athlon 700 MHz
            • Majesty Processor cooler (sweet)
            • 192 Mb Ram
            • Asus K7V mb
            • Matrox G400 (oc @ 150/200)
            • wester 10.2Gb and seagate 6.5Gb (removable) hdd
            • Aureal SQ1500 soundcard
            • Logitech Force Feedback wheel (pretty cool)
            • 300W atx case
            • Dual Majesty Exhaust fans (sweet silence... )
            • 100 Mb External ZipDrive

My Homepage
            My system:
            | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
            homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

It's an OK card to use, just remember that it won't change the L2 cache latency settings.(main speed limiting factor). If you handy with soldering, I can supply you with all info on how to mod these changes.

Comment

Lindberg, I hope you're aware that Tom's review on how to make a GFD is flawed. The schematic has a few errors incorrect and the resistor values are incorrect for the VID controls.
                Also like I've said before, if someone is goint to OC their Athlon not to use the GORB... it will work fine for normal running but not OC'd Athy's.

------------------
                Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
                CPUmark99 75
                FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

Comment

Hey Greebe, could you be a bit more specific? Aren't the resistors just pull up and pull down resistors? But what kind of error are there in the schematics? I'd like to know before I fry my athlon...
                  My system:
                  | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
                  homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Working...
                  X