No announcement yet.

I got my A7V and t-bird 700 :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW I have the latest registered version of Sandra Millennium (actually just about every decient benchmark proggy out).
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

47c=what farenhiet?

Comment

that's 116.6f Alfie
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks Greebe!
          Helevitia,
          That temps tolerable,could be better,but if that's the temp it's running at overclocked,pretty good!
          This review has a brief overview of bios and memory tweaking.
          Hope it helps a little. http://www.slota.com/reviews/asus/a7v/

Comment

Hey Helevitia,

How are you likeing that Asus board? I should be placeing my order in the next couple of days.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 26 July 2000).]
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I love this board Joel. It is soooo stable. Make sure you get the one without audio so you get the dip switches. I just found out that you can use the BIOS settings to tweak things while using just the dip switches for the clock multiplier. Before I was using all dip swithces which can be a pain. My ata/66 HDD is recognized as UDMA 4 on my promise controller and it's nice to know I can hook up 8, yes 8, ide devices I'm having some small probs with the FSB, but no thing that causes instability, just the readins aren't right and I can't figure out why. If I was forced at gun point to choose a complaint I guess I would hav eto say the thermister is the only thing I don't like. It's annoying that you have to put it on yourself and I am always questioning myself as to whether or not I put it in a good location. I moved it yesterday just to get different results and see what was best, and now my temp reads 49c idle! Before it was at 35c so as you can see I'm not really sure what is going on with heat. When I stress the computer, it goes to 52c where as before, it would go from 35c to 47c or higher. These different results are making my head spin.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Sold me,
                Ordered one tonight.
                Already have a Duron 600mhz(so I'm cheap!)
                Unfortuneatley locked,but will hopefully unlock it and see what it can do!

Comment

Alfie,

You will love this board It is very nice and stable.

Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Helvetia- What is yours card config ???
                    According manual A7V AGP-slot shares irq with pci1 & pci2 (or is there some misinformation in manual) leaving only pci3 not shared when onboard audio isn't used ?? Am I correct??? I just would like to know because I have to make up my mind between A7V&TB750, KT7pro&TB800 or CUSL2&PIII700E ... have to get in nic, modem etc... and maybe a SCSI-card ... and I've allready sold my old computer to my brother ...

------------------
                    -J-
                    -J-

Comment

Just placed my order today for the following.

AMD Athlon(Socket A) 800Mhz processor with 1 year AMD warranty
                      Cooler Master DP5-6H51 fan/heatsink assy
                      Asus A7V Duron/Athlon Socket A motherboard ATX
                      128M SDRAM dimm PC133 7.5ns or less
                      Antec KS282 Mid tower ATX case with 300W supply

Now I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas day.

Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Christmas,indeed!
                        I think I've just spent for the next 3 Christmas's!
                        Dave,
                        When you figure out the best placement for the probe,let us know!
                        I can picture it now 300 posts for best placement!So please!
                        What I've seem to have gone nuts with are heatsinks and fans.
                        Ordered the Socket A Gorb.Ordered another heatsink and triple fan from Coolerstar(looked too good to pass up)Artic silver compound.
                        If you look around the socket of the Asus,you'll see 4 drilled holes.
                        Some serious cooling could be mounted using them.
                        A low profile fan attached to the back of the mobo comes to mind(directly behind the socket)If clearence is enough ,should cool cpu by another 3-5C.
                        Ranting now!

Comment

May I make a suggestion? Take any standard 10k ohm thermister, trim the leads very short. Add two lengths (appropriate for your need) of wire wrap (kynar, 28 guage) wire to it. Insulate this soldered connections with a single wrap of electrical tape (like in a figure 8). Mount on top of a folded piece of double sided sticky foam tape (aka carpet tape, I just like to call it that , thick enough to ensue good contact with the underside of the CPU. Run the leads between the pins on the CPU and terminate. A small dab of Artic Silver (or similar) non conductive thermal compound to the top of the probe tip and you'll get the BEST possible reading!

Comment

and YES Dave, I think about this SHEET entirely too much!

Comment

Just placed order:
                              ASUS A7V With dip-switches (Without audio=))
                              AMD TB 700 Unlocked )) (I would liked 750 or 800 but all those were locked... but anyway: HI HO SILVER !!!!)
                              Titan Majesty M5AB socket-A cooler
                              rest of the pieces is waiting here @home ...

------------------
                              -J-
                              -J-

Comment

UncleJoe,

I looked in the manual and didn't see anything about shared PCI slots except for the 5th pci slto which shares and IRQ with the AMR slot. Even in the BIOS it mentions the 5th slot as being shared but none of the others.

Joel,

Christmas is here soon my friend BTW, since you are not too big on O/C'ing, don't worry, these chips overclock so easy.

Alfie,

Let me know hor the hs/fan thing goes because I've been looking and I can't seem to make up my mind cuz everyone is saying that all of the hs/fan are notquite mad for the socket 472. I hear newer versions of all of the these hs/fan's are coming out in the next couple of weeks. As far as the thermister is concerned, I cut the tip off and placed it right up against the chip just like the guys at (Weenie Ass(they lost a bet))HardOCP. It now seems to be reading correctly. I said screw it and bumped my voltage to 1.85 and tried 900Mhz. Works fine Idle temp is 38c and stress temp is 52c, ouch! It's been running for several days without a single crash.

Greebe,

May I make a suggestion? Instead of using electrical tape, go buy some heatshrink tape, a lot less hassle and much cleaner. I do like the idea of the 'carpet tape' though. That sounds perfect. and Greebe, I know you think about SHEEP way too much (joking)

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X