NVidia sues 3dFx!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVidia sues 3dFx!

I'm really getting tired off all that law suit thingy. Are we going to see another Creative-Aureal lawsuit?
    http://www.avault.com/news/displayne...8282000-192145

Vlip

If they steal a patent they should be sued! BUT, If they've figured out a good way to icrease the performance of their product they shouldn't be sued for just because nVidia thinks that they're the only ones who know how to make graphicscards...
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

... which company was it again that supported Glide without having the permission by 3dfx ???
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yeah, that's the spirit!
        My system:
        | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Just another way of trying to stop the competition. Of course they can't go after Matrox because they, nVidia, stole the dual head deal.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Did you read the list of infringements? I think nVidia thinks that they invented solder.
            Workstation Specs:
            Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

It sounds to me like they are trying to patent the MOVS instruction from the i8086.

What do you want to bet they don't try to inforce this BS against anyone (eg. Intel) big enough to defend themselves?

NVidia is taking a lesson in bad citizenship from RamBus.

chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Exactly what I thought when I read those patents.

Comment

The US patent office should be revamped with a nuke. The computer industry will grind to a halt if silly things like burst modes to a single address are patented.

Think I'll patent the use of voltage levels to indicate binary logic and sue everybody. I'm sure the patent office would allow it.

Comment

If Nvidia are so concerned with these alleged patent violations why have they allowed three generations of products to be produced by 3dfx before taking action? They could have sued 3dfx when the Voodoo 3 was announced and had the market all to themselves. Surely the last infringement would cover all 3d accelerators, does that mean they are also going to sue ATI, S3, Matrox, Trident, Sony, Sega, Nintendo.....
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The patent that looks really odd for me is this one:
                      "Method and apparatus for accelerating the rendering of images"

What does that really mean?

Vlip

Comment

Sounds like a general thing, In my opinion it would be just the same as if Microsoft would have a patent printer drivers, and they'll sue HP for making drivers for their printers...
                        Silly!
                        My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN...7932&mid=45125

and the comment on this by Kyle Bennet from HardOCP:

OK. I have been kicking around some ideas here about NVIDIA suing 3dfx. This is pure speculation on my part, and I can be pretty stoopid sometimes, so take that into consideration if you read this.

To my knowledge, and I may get some specifics wrong, but the gist of the story will be the same. NVIDIA was sued by 3dfx, SGI, and S3 back in 98. Here is one guy's opinion here that mentions these suits. Cards from the TNT to the GF2 Ultra, have all used the scheme when it comes to multitexturing. If 3dfx won their lawsuit, NVIDIA would have to pay "royalties" to 3dfx for all those cards sold. Now SGI and S3 settled out of court and that made everything better. 3dfx has NOT settled and thinks (my opinion) that they have a solid case against NVIDIA for patent infringement. I think NVIDIA is kicking up some dust to try to give them a little leverage on backing 3dfx into a corner, pushing them to settle. Remember, just a guess on my part.

Comment

It may all end up becoming a non-issue if 3dfx doesn't start making some money.

------------------
                            Ace
                            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600
                            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

C'est tout le mal que je leur souhaite!

In fact I would not like 3dfx to drown, Nvidia would almost be alone on the market if 3dfx dies! And I find they are enough monopols in this industry right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X