No announcement yet.

Media Player 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I tried MP7, it messed up the following codecs beyond all hope of repair:

DivX
    Mpeg4
    i263

Mainly because it ENFORCES MS's versions of these codecs, which are all (as of this writing) broken.

Now, that version MAY have been a beta, I can't honestly recall. I'll give it another shot tonight and let y'all know (my machine is due for a reinstall anyway).

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I finally installed MP7 yesterday. It looks quite nice! I noticed that whenever it starts, it also starts Rnaapp (the dial up networking application) with it. This is definitely one of the reasons for the slow start-up times of MP7. Does anyone know how can this loading up of DUN app be prevented? Enabling the work offline option in the file menu doesn’t help, although it remains checked even if MP7 is started again. Any suggestions ?
      Cheers
      Ovi

Comment

Just checked...

i263 is still broken, but it lets me install the sound option. Fine there, no problems.

DivX gets messed up, but can be fixed.

Mpeg4 is fixed - AMAZINGly enough.

Still slow, and how do we disable all the information senders and stuff?

And I'd LOVE to be able to turn off the big ugly buttons on the left hand side... grr...

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I tried W(i)MP 7 in win2k. Installed it, looked at the ugly bloated crap it is, uninstalled it. I feel much better now.

Comment

I agree with Gurm and Nuno. It's too slow, has ugly buttons, and is bloated

But I still have it installed, dunno why but I am keeping it

Rags

Comment

It works great for playback and whatever, except(and this is a big one) it won't properly do digital CD playback. If I have digital playback on, I can't play audio CD's properly. They (most CDs) quit and go on to the next track after a few (8-30) seconds. Also CDDB never works. Always have to add the info myself and then it has to find it again if I change cd's. And it is slow like others say. And Microsoft and I have been in communication for along time now, (several weeks, daily almost), with nothing fixed. Great stuff. Several patches, and still no help.

------------------
              AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.52015, 1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

To disable all the net senders do the following:

1) Open WM7 and put it in Full mode, as the menu is not available from compact mode.

2) From the menu select Tools -> Options.

3) There are 3 tabs that you need to look at - Player, Network and Media Library.

Unfortunately, the only way you can disable upgrade checks is by giving WM7 bogus Internet settings, which will also disable all senders.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I see that newest version doesn't HAVE an uninstall option either in Add/Rem programs or it's own shortcut! That's not very nice at all. Kinda brings the words "Anti-Trust"
                  to mind...

------------------
                  AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.52015, 1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

This is kind of related. Whenever I launch an .mpg file, I get an error message that says "the version testing date is expired". I click on OK, and the video plays fine. The only other thing installed that I can think of is the Divx;-) codec, but that shouldn't cause this, should it?. Any idea how to fix this? It's not keeping me from watching any videos, but it is a bit of a pain in the arse...

Edit: forgot to mention that I'm running W2K Pro SP1, and of course WMP7.

------------------
                    Andrew

I will not torment the emotionally frail

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 26 September 2000).]
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hi Bohrn
                      The version that I have on my system has an uninstall option in the add/remove programs list,and it also created a shortcut on my desktop.Maybe you have the beta version!
                      Cheers
                      Ovi

Comment

Just uninstalled MP7 here. Let's hope this thing reboots. (What a stupid idea)
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What is all this about bloatware anyway - I though it was only about 7Mbs? And you can choose not to install the CD-burning plugin etc. The only other thing I'd like to turn off is the visualisations - so I can get almost 0% CPU util.

Paul.
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                          X