Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 80 min/700 MB CDs work with an HP 7200 burner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 80 min/700 MB CDs work with an HP 7200 burner?

The bottom dropped out of prices on blank CDs here recently. With rebate, the cost of a Fuji CD-R 80 min/700 MB disk (complete with jewel case) is $.39(Cdn) or about $.26(US). I don't know how that compares to prices in the rest of the world, but it seems pretty cheap to me.

Anyway, I've never used anything but 74 min/650 MB blank CDs before, so after I bought a whole bunch of these 700 MB disks, I thought I'd check the HP site.
    http://support.hp.com/showpage/id/lpg40817.html
    It clearly states that these disks will NOT work with the HP 7200 series burners because of both hardware and software limitations. Should I take that as the absolute truth?

Is there anyone out there who has an HP 7200 burner who has successfully used the larger capacity 80 min/700 MB blank CDs?

I'll be able to take these disks back to the store if I can't use them, and I can probably just exchange them for the smaller 74 min/650 MB ones. However, if I can, I'd like to be able to use the larger capacity disks for both audio and data storage applications. Thanks for any feedback.

Try www.cdmediaworld.com
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks Wombat, it's an interesting site. I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be looking for, but I guess I'll poke around in there for awhile. If anyone knows offhand what I'm after, please let me know.

Comment

Patrick, the answer to your question is yes and no.

The 700MB CD-R (so called) "standard" is not officially supported by HP hardware, so they warn you of that in their manuals and on their site. However, MOST times you (probably) will not have any problems recording on these disks.

I know people who have had the occasional glitch while using them in their HP drives and others where they just won't work at all.

I have an HP 9100i but have never used the 700MB CDs because I don't think it's worth the hassle of possibly corrupting a backup or wasting time re-recording a bad CD copy for a measley 50MB of extra storage.
        "Whoa..."
        Keanu Reeves.

Comment

Sorry you didn't see it Patrick.
          They rate drives according to the capabilities (it's because of them I have my drive), and I thought yours might be there.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Riddek, you make a good point. I'll probably return these and exchange them for the standard size disks.

Wombat, I had no idea where to go or what I was looking for at that site. However, I've bookmarked it because there's a lot of info there.

Thanks guys.

Comment

<A HREF="http://www.maxtarget.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_cd_reviews.shtml">Here</A> is the page I was thinking of. No 7200's though.

Comment

Ayoub, no that's out of the question. Seriously, yes that's an option. However, burning one Cd doesn't really accomplish too much. If it works, that's no guarantee that it wasn't just a lucky fluke. If it doesn't work, it could've been because I simply did something wrong. It's MUCH better to get feedback from others with the same burner to hear how they made out. That's why forums such as this are so great.

Comment

Patrick,are you not able to buy a single 700MB cdr & try it out? It seems the only way you will know for sure if you writer can handle it.

Comment

Working...
                  X