No announcement yet.

Basic network query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe you're using the DHCP, which probably (never tested it) is sending the right gateway and DNS settings to the client, which will then use them.

But whatever is the case, Netbuei has _NOTHING_ to do with internet, so has netbios.

The only thing I can think of is that you are usnig some real bad network cards like realtek NICs, and to check wether they can see eachother, you use netbios (this way you can see the other pc in network neighbourhood).

However, for the functionality of ICS, netbios, again, has _NOTHING_ to do with it. Maybe you have some very odd network drivers that cannot talk with other computers, unless they can find eachother with netbios, but I highly doubt that.

I'll list my backend network info for my shared internet connection:
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : inaccessable (netbios name of my backend pc)
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : student.utwente.nl (my university network DNS suffix)

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : student.utwente.nl (my university network DNS suffix)
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) (my nic )
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **-**-**-**-**-** (no MAC address for you! )
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No (I don't use DHCP.. maybe it IS easier, but this way it works fine here)
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2 (the IP address of my backend pc)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 (class-B network)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 (the IP of the PC connected to the internet)
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 130.89.1.2 (my university network DNS servers)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 130.89.220.2 (my university network DNS servers)
    These are all the settings you need to run a backend network with a shared internet conneciton. You don't even need to enter the DNS Suffix, but it is easier for local webpages

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 09 October 2000).]

Comment

Cheers for the input lads, the problem i had last time was that i needed to add DNS entries to the clients NIC (as specified by my ISP).

Everything worked until i rebooted.
      Let me get this straight:

---------------------------
      HOST

Dial Up Adaptor
      IP: auto
      DNS: auto (although i am sure i need to specify one - but it works so wtf)
      sharing enabled & dial on demand enabled

Network Interface Card
      IP: 192.168.0.1
      sm: 255.255.255.0

CLIENT

NIC
      ip: auto (DHCP)
      sm: 255.255.255.0
      gatway: 192.168.0.1
      1y / 2y DNS - what ever is specified by my ISP - cant think of the top of my head (at uni)
      --------------------

The network connection works and dial on demand is activated, but i dont think it ever connects?

I'm sure i could ping MURC yesterday (-w 10000).

Is anything missing or wrong?

For those who are not sure about the IP settings feel free to check here!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Hey Greebe, it's probably time to send detailed instructions on how to make Nat32 work for Patrick (seriously).

SteveC's advice has been perfect, exactly what I woud've said. If ICS isn't working now, it probably is time to move up to something better. I dont run a FW on my gateway machine. BTW is service pack 1 installed? just curious, don't know that there are any ics fixes in it.

Jorden, calm down. No one here cares what anyone else is studying, we just want to help.

You guys ...........
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Cheers Denty.
          Yup SP1 is definately installed on the host and im pretty sure about the client too (better check though!)

thanks for the input
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

damn! SP1 is not on the client.

I wont beable to get it on for a while - will this cause problems?

Comment

This is driving me mad!

OK Ignore all of my previous thread. This is where I'm at.

1) I can ping the host from the client by both name and ip.
              2) I can't ping the client from the host by it's name.
              3) I can't map a drive from one to the other

I seem to have a fundamental network problem... Everything was working.

Here is a list of my current settings for the host machine. Can somone tell me if they are correct. My settings my ISP wants me to use can be found here.

I'll get it working one machine at a time!

Thanks for being so patient!

Patrick

-------------------------------------------------

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bob

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-27-94-23-07

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
              NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

PPP adapter ntl:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.255.233.210

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 62.255.233.210

Comment

DZues, if you haven't used BID why are you here claiming it's trigger happy? I'd like to see just once where any type of probe was misinterpreted as an attack.

I've had several others attempt to gain access (testing my security) and even flood the system, but at no time did it misreport it, nor did they gain access.

Denty, what's funny about this entire fiasco is I wasn't helping Patrict per say setup his network. I'm not running Win2K now and haven't since before SP1 was released. Back then it was a big mess, riddled with bugs that couldn't be tolerated, so I ditched it.

If I don't have all the information to do the task at hand I'll ask a friend or two whom are profecient (and competent) to see if they will lend a helping hand. That's what happened in this case and just another reason for the excesive verbage brought out here.

Being resourceful is yet another one of my skills where I tend to learn more by allowing others handle what I don't feel 100% with. Then compile that information unto myself. This way I learn whether what is claimed to work, in reality does or not and why.

MM I would completely agree except for a couple of points. You do not have the experience with the previous history of this individual, nor can you see what had been said outside these forums.

I have been concerned about the flaming myself, but I will not allow anyone to slam me without recourse. Especially when they are the one treading on me or an issue I'm involved with with pisformation.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And i am very grateful for your help Greebe!

I doubt I would be able to post this if it were not for ICQ!

Comment

DZues, if you haven't used BID why are you here claiming it's trigger happy? I'd like to see just once where any type of probe was misinterpreted as an attack.
                    Did I ever say I have never used BlackIce?

Well, I have, and I stopped using it, because it was trigger happy. It detected portscans as trojan attacks, corrupted IP blocks send by an ICQ server as a DNS attack, it even detected a Win2k pc browsing my shares as a attack, etc. etc. etc.

LockDown was even worse.

Many people have reported that Conseal firewall is by far the best program. Just create a good ruleset, and you shouldn't get any problems any more...

Oh, I don't know if all your problems are now sorted with Greebe's help, but I do see some errors in your config:

2) I can't ping the client from the host by it's name.
                    <cut>NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
                    If you have not installed another protocoll over which you have enabled netbios, there is no way to ping the client with it's name (correct me if I am wrong), or map a network drive. For those functions (SMB), you need Netbios enabled on both computers, and both the "Client for MS networks" and "File and Printer sharing for MS networks" installed on both PCs, and enabled on a netwoprk protocoll that both PCs also have installed.

Having both the same IP address and gateway can't be right... if this PC is the pc connected to the internet, don't install any DNS or gateway on the network interface that is connected to the backend pc (well... I could be wrong, but I am quite certain these are the same settings).

btw.. does anyone know what "IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes" does, and where you can find any settings for IP routing?

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 09 October 2000).]

Comment

Sorry, I am sure that someone here told me to diable netbios over tcp/ip.

Here is an updated list for the host machine.

Cheers dzeus

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bob

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-27-94-23-07

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter ntl:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.255.236.70

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 62.255.236.70

Comment

The machines are talking to each other!
                        I can map drives.......

I just need the net access.
                        Here are the setting for the client - the host is posted above

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : fil
                        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-B7-14-2D-BC

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 October 2000 07:58:29

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 October 2000 07:58:29

Comment

Just create a dialup connection and enable sharing if already haven't. I've just got Client for Microsoft networks, File and print sharing and tcp/ip (set for dynamic) click on the sharing tab and you should be away.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

little update.

The machines see each other.
                            the host sees he net
                            the client cant ping anything furthere than the host, but it does recognise that the IP for matrox.com is xxx.xxx.xx.xx

ie. pinging www.matrox.com [xxx.xxx.xx.xx] no reply

the client can dial the net (dial on demand) so presumuably ICS is enabled. Do i have to dp anything else to it bescides enabling sharing?

Comment

Working...
                            X