No announcement yet.

3Com 3XP chip - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wombat: I've got 2 networks - 1 at work and one at home. The work one is a 2 PC 10Mb on a 4port hub which I'm upgrading to beyond 4 PCs so I'm open to a new hub as well.

I'm fairly high ranking in the office though (Boss' son ) so I might get myself a switch and give them the hub

Also, does anyone know if network switches are similar to crossbar switches (electronics term). The reason I'm asking is that a friend told me that a switch is bad for games - because it gives only 2 PCs a link to each other at the same time. I know of the crossbar switch which links all PCs to each other PC which sounds good - but more expensive too.

Ta again, Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I think your friend is speaking out of their rear ends. What would the point be of making a 24 port switch if only two PC's could communicate together? Switches are like hubs with brains. They are aware of what is connected to each port so when data comes in on one port, it only gets forwarded to the port that the target computer is connected to.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Makes me wonder though. Switches do eliminate unnecessary traffic. So maybe "broadcast" type messages would be different.

Don't need to think about it too much though. Gaming runs under a client-server model, and there's independent connections for everybody.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Pace your friend is full of it. Get a switch, some 905c's and be done with it.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmmm..

3C905's, 3CR990-TX-95, Intel Pro 100 w/w/o mgmt (various rev's) - have used them all.

They all work well.

The Intel's seem to be a little more robust, but the 3Com's have always worked for me.

I am writing this on a system with a 3CR990-TX-95 - over a year old, never a problem.

Pick what you want, stay with what you like, and forget the rest.

Guyv
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I dunno about 3Com cards, but me and my four Linksys LNE100TX cards are fine, along with a 8 port 10mbps hub in my DSL router.

Comment

Regarding the X-bar switch:

Yea - although it sounds good that in a 24 machine network, you could have a pair of 2 machines directly linked for ultrafast transfer before switching to another pair I think the delays in switching wouldn't be worth it.

I'll draw a pic too...

Paul.
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Here's the pic (took a while, hehe, didn't spend it all on the pic though!):

In the top picture you see each PC links into a 4 way port (demux) and is therefore linked to each other PC (on the right).

The bottom pic shows a single line which switches between each connection.

So I presume the switch is the top picture but why the name switch? Is this another naming blunder along the lines of RAM and Flip-Flop ? I see that it will route the packet to any PC on a dedicated line but it's not really 'switching'.

And, if one of these does represent a switch, how does a hub work? Are they all on a single bus?

Paul.

Edit: Note that the drawing represents the same 4 PCs! The left side denotes transfer and the right denotes receive.

[This message has been edited by Pace (edited 05 November 2000).]
                  Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                  X