No announcement yet.

Memory overkill, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a good old way to make good use of ur large memory is to increase the disk cache, file and directory cache.
    In win9x u should goto to system applet, performance, file system, typical role of this computer and set it to network server.
    This will increase the directory and file name cache.
    for the disk cache, edit ur system.ini file and add the section
    [vcache]
    MinFileCache=24576
    MaxFileCache=49152
    this is for a system with 192 MB ram
    the min is set as 1/8 of main memory and the max is 1/4. in KB (and make sure u multiply or divide by 1024) as 16 MB is 16384 KB, 32 MB is 32768 KB
    I think for large memory (192 or higher) u can just set min=max=1/4 main memory.
    or u can grab cacheman or X-setup and they'll do the job for u.
    just my 2 ps. on how to fill over ur ram

If anyone knows about similar settings for NT/2000 .. just speak up.

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 13 November 2000).]
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

I've read there are 2 types of 256MB (and larger, apart from ECC capability) modules: unbuffered and registered. And I may switch the 2 in the following context, but it goes something like:

current modules under 256MB almost all are registered, and most 256MB DIMMs are unbufferd. You can't mix unbuffered and registered DIMMs on one motherboard. So you can either use all unbuffered modules, or all registered.

And I also read that a few months ago Micron (or Crucial, forgot), started the production of unbuffered 256MB DIMMs, so that you could use these in combination with smaller DIMMs (also unbuffered).

Edit: SP

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 13 November 2000).]

Comment

I'm jumping into this thread cause I just ordered two 256Mb sticks for my duallie mobo that already has 256Mb on it. I'll prolly just run 512Mb on the duallie and spread the other 256Mb to one of my other 4 systems.

Careful though - some of these really low priced sticks are for mobo chipsets that can handle the high density chips that they are made of.

Questions I see are:
        is ???Mb too much - this definately goes with what most have said - "it depends". For email and word under 98 - 64 is prolly ample. For NT/2K, 128 would be a base - add applications and go for 192 or 256. For high end applications PS, video, etc... more memory make them happier.

I have 5 systems: laptop for work stuck at 128Mb. Just loading NT and NotesR5 takes up over 80-90Mb, much less any others that I need. Wife's box running 98 and 64Mb - she does email and word - plenty of memory. Internet box with 98, ISDN and 64 Mb of memory. Acts as print server and file server with 4 Hdd's - plenty of memory. Game box: 98 and 128Mb memory - UT is only game I run. Briefly had more memory in this and UT was smoother - looking to put another 128 stick back in this. Server - Dual 700 with 256 and Win2K, full SCSI rig with development software, PS, G400/RR, Nikon Scanner, CDRW and 256 is borderline for the stuff I do. 512Mb should make this happy - I would also like to run VMware that allows multiple OS's concurrently. With enough memory and dual CPU's I should be able to run all my apps plus another OS with apps nicely.

Q2: Same quantity sticks?
        Some mobo chipsets like to see two pair of the same sticks so it can do memory interleaving - like HDD RAID for memory. A little faster in memory timings - prolly a little noticable in apps - but not a necessity.

Q3: quality and performance?
        PC150 CAS2 will definately perform better on SiSoft than PC100 CAS3 - but what about applications. We're talking memory here - 7ms or 7.5ms, or an extra clock cycle at 100Mhz for strobe. Application performance is slightly noticable... 1-3 fps in UT from what I have seen. Is a 5% gain in performance worth 100% price difference???

So, what the heck - memory is CHEAP! Get gobs of it and know that you are set for a while. We all spend lots of time and money on other things trying to tweak our boxes, knowing that memory is used as much as the CPU and Video. Don't tell me that some of you spent an extra $50 on a 7200RPM hard drive and only have 64Mb of memory. Guess where the data goes when you run out of memory - to the swap file on the HDD - that slower version of memory called virtual!

Anyway, hope this helps, don't mean to offend anybody - this is just my opinions and experience.....

Hammy.

3.6 Ghz CPU
        108 Gb Hdd space
        640 Mb Ram (soon 1152Mb)
        82" Monitor
        1800W PSU
        (across 5 systems)

Comment

Anyone else know of problems with 256Mb DIMMs? I know Paul mentioned it but noone followed up on it!

Paul.

------------------
          Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
          Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
          Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
          Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
          X