Setting up Win2k AS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ehm Pace,

You didn't by any change give your clients a fixed ip adress did you?

..just checking

BTW you got me al confused .. are you trying to let all your clients/servers use a 192.168.o.x range or 10.x??

Your server should be in the same network range as your clients, or you will need a router to be able to access your server...

Anyway, if you want to use 192.168.0.x:

Delete the 10.x scope like DentyCracker said (you don't need it), make a new scope for the 192.168.0.x range, exclude your server's adress 192.168.0.1, which should be a fixed adress (filled in at you tcp/ip properties) exclude any other ip's which you want be fixed. Make sure you dhcp server is authorized in the Active Directory (in the dhcp console, click action ---> manage authorized servers)

Your dhcp configuration should look something like this:

Range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.254
    Exclude all fixed ip's!!
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway (your ics server): 192.168.0.1
    dns server: 192.168.0.1
    Primary wins server: maybe 192.168.0.1, maybe nothing

Tip for the ics stuff: make sure your internet sharing server is set to forward dns requests

Grtz,
    Ed

[This message has been edited by EdSki (edited 06 November 2000).]

Comment

EdSki:

But if he has ICS turned on, that fuXX0rZ the DHCP. Unless MS ironed that out (haven't checked since early builds), turning ICS on activates a little mini-DHCP server, which could very well be screwing up his 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.* stuff.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Pace,

Tried it...Gurm is right (ics sucks). But there is an option to install regular nat routing in win2k-as. Setting is a bit of pain in the b*tt, but the help file is actually helpfull

But running a NAT server on the dhcp server means that the DNS proxy part won't work. (Which means you have to fill in your isp's dns server adress at your clients ip configuration)and for you that won't do..

You can find all you need to know about ics and NAT at the technet site: www.microsoft.com/technet

Just search for ICS and NAT

If you have a fast internet connection try this one: http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/103...04/seminar.htm

Grtz,
        Ed

Comment

Small update while I download the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List = 2974k of text!!). I set up Win2k Server on my second partition, but due to problems with my modem (not found, no drivers for it), I can't be of any help (yet) with the ICS thingy.

In the mean time, Paul, did you go the way Ed said? The scope range (which btw should be 192.168.0.1 to the last PC in your network. No need to go all the way to 254, unless you have 255 PCs in your network!!), the DNS, the DHCP and probably the WINS all set to your server's address 192.168.0.1 ?

Wondering if the gateway should be set, for the gateway is MS's expensive word for a router, which shouldn't be in your (or my ) network.

What do you use on the other PCs in the network, btw? I'm trying Win2k Server with Holly's WinME PC.

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 06 November 2000).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Pace,

Played around with win2k nat today (nothing better to do), couldn't get it to forward dns requests.. aaargh..will work with the dns server adress of my isp punched in the hard way. But that sucks..If this is the only way it will work, you'll probably are better off with some kind of proxy server.

Don't have a clue what i did wrong at the moment (maybe someone else does?)..

Jord:

Windows NT has software router stuff build in. The gateway should be set with any kind of router software or hardware. Packets with destinations outside of your subnet (like packets for i-net) will never get out otherwise..If you are using proxy software the gateway adress won't matter (You set the proxy adress in applications like internet explorer or cuteftp.

The max nr of pc's with a range of 192.168.0.x and mas of 255.255.255.0 actually is 254, you can't use .0 or .255 (Keep this in mind, typical m$ exam trap!)
            May seem like a lot but some people how post on this forum seem to be well on their way

Grtz,
            Ed

Comment

Gurm, it would appear that they have fixed that particular problem, since I have set up a network with just 5 workstations and a win2k server as PDC with DHCP setup to use 192.168.0.x . ICS works fine on it.
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Dentycracker,

192.168.0.x is the range that ics automatically assigns to clients. Maybe that's why it's working?

No prob's with dns if you set the dns server to your pdc's adress?

grtz,
                Ed

Comment

Ok - thanks Ed! I'll have a go at that and see...

And Gurm, Win2k Pro does that for ICS I know for certain. Don't know about AS...it could be....

Paul.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! I'm a little too busy at the moment to work on this but I'll bring it up again later when I'm back at it.

Thanks again,

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Ok - I'm back at it!

I've managed to change the IP scope to the 192blah range, even though it was already giving these out. Yet, still no internet sharing - anything else that might cause a problem here?

Does anyone have a simple (lol ) guide to setting it up? I don't particularly want the fancy stuff at the moment, I'll try playing with that later (i.e. Active Directory, DNS, Roaming Profiles). Internet sharing and fax sharing are almost compulsory though. Fax sharing seems not to have been installed, or there is something else preventing it - when I try to share it, it's just a blank dialog box: 'Sharing is not supported'. Is this a driver/modem limitation?

Thanks for all your help guys, (and only with limited "stupid newbie setting up needless AS" post tendencies )

Paul.
                      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

As I told you pace use 3rd party proxy software!

------------------
                        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
                        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Pace,

Setting up ics should be just a matter of sharing the internet connection.

You can also set up NAT routing (ics, but you have to specify everything your self). It will work but..but i couldn't get dns forwarding to work so i had to fill in the dns server adresses of my provider at the ip properties of my client pc's. Not a problem as long as you don't care about Active Directory..

To set ICS or NAT just follow the steps in the help file, just look for internet connection sharing and NAT)

ICS conflicts with dhcp and dns, but Dentycracker has done it..maybe he can give you a step by step how he did it.

Don't have a clue about fax sharing..

Grtz & sorry i couldn't be more helpfull..

Ed

Comment

Working...
                          X