No announcement yet.

Tom's Hardware P4 retraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I have to add is there is a difference between the speed of an OS's responsiveness, and the speed at which it allows applications to run. The cool thing is that it's clear there are things that can still be done to improve performance not only for now, but the future. And this power lies with programmers as well as hardware designers.

Rags

Comment

Responsiveness is generally a result of real multitasking with thin time slices, as well as a properly designed GUI API. Windows doesn't have the former except under winnt, and the latter is not designed for performance but for features. Application speed is related to how well the OS was written and designed WRT file systems and memory handling. Windows was never designed, it just mutated from DOS.

AmigaOS was more responsive and smooth at 7MHz than my current PC at 850MHz, it's nutty.

Comment

And if you really cared about the CPU-cycles the OS is wasting then you'd use .... AmigaOS

Sorry, couldn't resist - but if you're having two computers standing beneath each other, one running AmigaOS on a 68060@50 and the other Win98 on an Athlon@600, you DO have to start thinking...
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

Oh, Himself beat me on this one... Stupid browser-cache.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
          X