Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no G800 - time to jump ship - which card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you think we took that into concideration in the first place? I did, and yet most still concider it rumor. Oh well, your loss.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Superfly and Mike: You're both right. I just wait, even when the darn thing comes out, until I have have enough money to get the darn thing, for me and my girlfriend

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Greebe.

I keep a pretty open mind when it comes to hardware,regarless of who makes it(well...except for bitboys and their glaze 3d... ),and i just wish matrox the best of luck in getting the G800 as fast as possible.

And who knows,if the G800 is good enough to make you wait this long,it has to be a truly exceptional card,it might be worth it for me as well(you never know).

In the mean time i'll be enjoying what i what i've got now.

Cheers... .
        note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

List of T&L supported games.
          http://www.nvidia.com/products/gefor...nsf/xform.html

oh yeah no that many T&L games at alll....

Thundrchez-

"Nvidia drivers do not work with w95osr2.5 even if everything is setup right."

Oh yes 95osr2 had an excellent AGP implementation.

"Their video quality makes compromises."

Mabye you should try adjusting it? Look in Display Advanced Properties.

"Also, with so many third party manufacturers, you are just rolling the dice to see what you will actually get at very high resolution 2D."

True, true. But is this Nvidia's fault. NO. Nvidia makes the chipset. Manufacturer makes the card. Blame the manufacturer NOT nvidia.
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

DF, by that example, all games according to nVidia are T&L optimized. This is nothing more than their typical hype factor.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I know that there are at least a few people here that will only use matrox cards and will never consider anything else,no matter how good it might actually be,
              That is because us professional computer users know that there is more to a video card than how many fps you get in a Q3A timedemo.

Joel
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

The thing people have to realise is that there are 2 categories where it can be claimed that any given game is t.l optimized.

The first would be games that do indeed use onboard t.l capabilities of both Geforce and radion cards,but not in such a way that they use that capability to radically increase poly counts to such an extent that those very same games won't be able to run without a t.l enabled video card.

Under those conditions,there are indeed quite a few games that use that capability,but again the game only runs faster with a t.l card,it won't necessarily look better(a key difference here).

The second category of games are the ones that are built with using the full capabilities of t.l cards(in terms of poly counts)to the point that having a t.l card becomes nearly mandatory to even run the game in the first place,not just play faster or even look a little better.

So far those types of games aren't here yet,i'm sure that for instance some have seen the unreal 2 tech demo that was shown a few months ago and actually had nearly 10x higher poly counts environments running in real time.

That game will absolutely require a T.L card to run,and i'm sure there will be quite a few more showing up next year.

Let's be a little realistic here,even if developers started making their games in such a way as to fully exploit t.l as soon as the first Geforces hit the market,it still takes over 2 years for the average game to be completed(3 for triple AAA titles).

You'll have to wait for games like:

HALO.

unreal 2.

black and white.

Doom 3(Geforce 2 will actually be the minimum requirement to run this game...wow).

Team fortress 2(graphics engine is being rebuilt from the ground up,even though the game itself was done).

Freelancer.

Max payne(has been in developement for well over 3 years now but it looks like it will finally be released in the next few months).

Those(and more)are the types of games that really push far more polys than anything previously seen,and having a T.l enabled card becomes almost mandatory.

note to self...

Primary system :
                P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Uhhh...Joel.

I also use my card for photoshop,cad, blender and 3d studio max myself.

note to self...

Primary system :

Comment

dosfreak, you're missing the point. The point is not whether or not win95osr2 has the most optimized agp implementation in the world. The point is that Nvidia says that their drivers are "win9x" and work with win95, but they don't. They flat out lie in saying that it works with with w95. If it is a known fact that it doesn't work right, why even bother to claim that it does?

Matrox, on the other hand, have drivers that do work with win95osr2 very well.

Comment

Forget T&L? sorry t*ts and l*gs are what I live for

-Dil
                      who is STILL working with a G200 and a DooDoo2 setup that works with all his different OS (M$ and Linux) combos floating around his (now PC crowded) house......
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Guess you would really need to remember TCL. *cough*

Comment

I would go for a Geforce2 Pro. Its a top card and easily can be overclocked at ultra's specs and beyond. Nvidia has a good tradition in releasing drivers (i wonder how many hundreads of detonators have been released...)
                          In addition its not so expensive as the ultra but costs a bit...If you have the money, go for it.You wont regret it.

I almost sound like a salesman....thanks god i am not...
                          "God is dead," Nietzche, 1883
                          "Nietzche is dead," God, 1900

Comment

I have made a NLE Machine out of spare parts and new parts!
                            And because of that i have gotten myself an GayFart Mega Xircons (GeForce MX) to test if it works OK with my screen (i dont go over 1024*768 because of refresh)

In the NLE machine it outperformes my G400 bigtime! (with T&L OFF ofcourse )

Specs:
                            Mid Tower 300W
                            Gigabyte GA-6BXE
                            P3 550 Slot 1 With an Golden ORB
                            128MB Appacher 133Mhz CL3
                            Pixelview Geforce MX 32MB Sdram (Will be replaced with my G400 DH 32MB an My RRG)
                            Sony 48X CD-ROM
                            Fujitsu 2.6GB (What a big one!? waiting for a IBM DTLA 30GB )
                            SB64 Value
                            3COM 905B-TX NIC

When i Tested this card at work it was very "Fuzzy" but that was because of a realy Bad Monitor .)

Going to swap Vidcards tomorrow!

------------------
                            Intel PIII-800/133MHz MSI 6337
                            G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                            SBlive Value (oldest piece of equipment in my can ! )
                            256 MB RAM CAS2
                            58GB HDD Space!(Actual 60GB) (30+30 IBM DTLA 30GB drives)
                            Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                            SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                            X