Cable Modem!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Modem!!!

Finally, Telewest have got themselves into gear and delivered us our shiny cable modem!!!

I give myself two weeks before I fill my HD with crap, less if we can get our linux server et up properly.

Any other UK cable modemmers out there? I know someone got one a few months back. wondering if they had any comments/ suggestions/ dire warnings etc for a new convert?

Uberlad 8-)

------------------
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

I got mine from NTL last Saturday, 512kb, £25 a month including £5 to rent the modem, a Motorola Surfboard I think it is.

I'm very happy with it, averages 70kb downloads for both http and ftp. Only problem I have is with streaming video that has gone really bad the last couple of days.

Comment

Congrats guys!
      Goto www.dslreports.com
      They will show you how to optimize your network settings.
      Particularly, upsize your RWIN.
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yeah we have a SurfBoard too.

Getting about 55K/s max in both ftp and http, will obviously have to try harder 8-)

Thanks for the link cjolley, I"ll get on it asap.

Uberlad

------------------

Comment

Now that you've got a cable modem consider getting a Linksys Cable/DSL router/switch/firewall. Besides doing great internet sharing it also stops all attempts by outsiders to intrude on your system(s). Highly recommended....

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 07 December 2000).]

Comment

Good plan, but we already have a linux server that we're configuring to do all our forwarding and firewall needs.

Maybe when I@m feeling more rich I@ll go for a router.

Uberlad

------------------

Comment

It was me who got one a little while back - I have had one of their cable modems for a month or two now, and although mostly without problems, I almost always have to use either Pipex' or BT Internet's cache, as Telewests is pants, and last night the News server went tits-up completely, deleting all the posts!

Uberlad - if you're having fun with yours, just visit the blueyonder newsgroups and read other's opinions...

Overall, I think that it's a great service and even though they have around 1 day every week where the service is pants, I think it's well worth the money.

One note, you can't get over ~50kbps with telewest - it's capped at 512kbps and there's nothing we can do, no matter how hard you try...

PS: They're upgrading their 155mb link to 1Gb very soon (before xmas anyway) and they have some people en route to the states as we speak to sort out the state-side connectivity

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

"Maybe when I@m feeling more rich I@ll go for a router."??

hehehehe..if you think I'm rich you're dreaming

Actually a Linksys Cable/DSL router comes in three versions/prices;

BEFSR11: $99USD (1 port+uplink/253 computers)

BEFSR41: $149USD (4 ports+uplink/253 computers)

BEFSR81: $199USD (8 ports+uplink/253 computers)

Prices from BUY.COM USA. You get a helluva a lot for, in the case of the BEFSR11, just a little more than decent firewall software.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I got a Netgear RT-311 router (no hub built in) and am very pleased with it!

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I'll need to be feeling more rich for even a $99 router, I've spent far too much money on my computer + network of late and need to relax for a while and let ym credit card cool off.

I saw the thing about the upgraded link to the states and all I can say is <grin>. Downloads from the states are currently not quite up to our 50K/s maximum.

I spose I should go to bed, instead of downloading everythgin I ever wanted but couldn't get due to 56K winModem issues.

Anyone know where I can get cheap HD's? I have a feeling I@m going to need them once my machine is linked into this cable modem 8-)

Uberlad, who has downloaded 450Mb in the last 12 hours.

------------------

Comment

uberlad, for cheap HD's try these people www.microdirect.co.uk
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
                        !@#$%^& &^@#*!@)

Obligatory Hate Post
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Check my sig for what you need once you get realy fast downloads
                          chuck

------------------
                          ABit BE6-2 V2, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 2x45gig IBM 75GXP striped raid array, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                          X